Poop question

sinistershelly

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 17, 2011
So I just started letting my Youngins free range for a couple hours in the evening. I also have dogs which stay inside during this time. But as I was watching the chickens explore, I started wondering to myself, Gee, I hope they dont get near any dog poop. And what about the dogs getting into chicken poop? So my question is, How safe or unsafe is it for them to be around each others poops. I dont have a compost bin just yet for the chicken poop so Ive kinda just been dumping it in one corner of the yard for now and the dogs, all except one(grrr) seem to poop in the far other end of the yard where the chickens dont go. But of course this one dog has to be different and go all over the dang place. Do I need to be doing better poop maintenance? Or will they be ok?

I have the same question, actually, but was never sure how to say it! So I'm waiting for a response on the dog poo.

I know that, when I move my broiler pen, my dog follows behind me and dines on their poo. Gross, but she has been doing this for 6 months and seems fine:)

My dog is the reason why I can hardly find any chicken poop in my yard. She eats it all!
sickbyc.gif
I bury all the dog poop so it's out of reach from kids, chickens and sneakers. I just had the dog's stool sample checked at the vet- parasite free. I wouldn't worry. Just make sure your dog's stool is checked annually.

Great question! Can't wait to see what the folks say in reply. My chickens and dog share the backyard. My dog poops all the way at the back and the chickens don't care where they go. The dog seems to leave their poop alone....***knocking on wood***

Quote:
Parasites rarely discriminate. Coccidia, roundworm, hookworm...... etc. can be found in cat, dog, and raccoon..... and humans to name a few. They manifest in many different symptoms in different species. Testing the domestic pets, like cats and dogs for parasites is the easiest way to know what is in the area. The eggs of all parasites are always present in the ground waiting for a host. Keeping your animals in top shape and checking stool samples when possible is the best way to keep them in check.

Last edited:
I don't know about dog poo, but my chickens love to scratch around in the donkey manure. They really like it when I wet it down with the hose...gross
sickbyc.gif
...but I'm glad they do! They bust it all up into something that looks just like potting soil, it's a fine compost ingredient!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom