poop stuck on my chickens bottom (large area) ! help what do I do?

Heike

Hatching
8 Years
Nov 25, 2011
I have 22 chickens and one, a rhode island red has poop stuck all around her bottom, the others are fine. What do I do? New to this site. Hope the upload of my picture works.
112526_img_3329.png

Last edited:
Just use a warm washcloth or soft paper towel soaked in warm water and gently wash it until it falls off. It will fall off but it might take a few minutes to get to that point. Use a cotton ball to put olive oil or antibiotic cream around her butt, feed her yogurt/ boiled egg. Same treatment as Pasty Butt.

One of my girls had clumps of poo stuck on her feathers, and starting to weigh her butt down, poor girl. Hubby and I trimmed the poop off yesterday and it looks so much better. Will keep an eye on it. I think she might be roosting where the ladder meets the roost, so the poop builds up over night on her bum.

I just pull it off along with any feathers quick and easy, just yank them out and then there will be no more problems in the future. sure they give a little squak, but doing all that washing and stuff takes forever and makes more of a mess than you might figure. I prefer less feathers in the rear area for health and sanitary reasons not to mention it helps with fertility. But I am sure those with named pet chickens would prefer the whole giving it a warm scented bubble bath and a cup of tea afterwards treatment LOl it's all good whichever way you decide is best. keep her vent area treated with a salve or bag balm to prevent this from happening again and make sure she is drinking, dehydration is the main cause for cluster butt.

Judging from the pic it doesn't look to be very much at all. Just a small clump, pull it and be done with it, easy peezy.

Ok so I grabbed the whole chunk and yanked it out!!! it worked great!!! was weird to do. Then put some vaseline on it. Thanks for the advice, would have never thought to do that. PLUS THIS CHICKEN WS NOT NAMED. I named one of my 23 chickens and it got eaten by a raccoon so my family convinced me I cursed it by naming it. I have not named any since lol!

I also cut clumped ones off. This morning their butts look fluffy again. Some featherless areas but much better then large clumps of dried poo. So glad I took care of it. I bet not 1/2 as glad as they are!

Back
Top Bottom