poop stuck on my chickens bottom (large area) ! help what do I do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Heike, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Heike

Heike New Egg

Nov 25, 2011
    I have 22 chickens and one, a rhode island red has poop stuck all around her bottom, the others are fine. What do I do? New to this site. Hope the upload of my picture works.[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  2. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Ummm....wash it off.

3. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    Quote:and use warm water to make it easier

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  4. Romochickencrazy

Romochickencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

I have the same problem with one of my Rhode Island reds too. I don't have an answer for you though, I just wash her bottom from time to time. Hope someone does have some good feedback on this topic because I wish I knew what else can be done. [​IMG]

5. Roosterfry

Roosterfry Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2010
    North Mississippi
    Soak it's bottom in a bucket with warm water for a few minutes then see if you can gently wipe if off with a towel.

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I just pull it off along with any feathers quick and easy, just yank them out and then there will be no more problems in the future. sure they give a little squak, but doing all that washing and stuff takes forever and makes more of a mess than you might figure. I prefer less feathers in the rear area for health and sanitary reasons not to mention it helps with fertility. But I am sure those with named pet chickens would prefer the whole giving it a warm scented bubble bath and a cup of tea afterwards treatment LOl it's all good whichever way you decide is best. keep her vent area treated with a salve or bag balm to prevent this from happening again and make sure she is drinking, dehydration is the main cause for cluster butt.

7. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Quote:x2

8. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Judging from the pic it doesn't look to be very much at all. Just a small clump, pull it and be done with it, easy peezy.

9. real_redhead

real_redhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Roanoke, VA
    Saw your post on mine as well, glad I'm not the only one taking pictures of chicken butts! Good luck!

10. Heike

Heike New Egg

Nov 25, 2011
    Thanks everyone!!!!!! am new at this and at this forum. Great help! what is salve or bag balm to treat her with ???? is that medicated? Is it like vaseline? ... and the poop spot is larger than you think! will it bleed if I pull it off? it looks like it is stuck to skin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by