Poop stuck to week old chick’s vent!

Jrd7788

Songster
Oct 27, 2018
I saw hard poo crusted to my little chick(Luna) on her/his vent and got a warm, damp paper towel and gently peeled it off. Did I do the right thing? My barnevelder hen , when she was a chick, had the same thing and a person at the feed store ( where I bought her) ripped it off like a band aide.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 11
I hold their little butts under lukewarm running water and gently massage the poop off. Once clean, they get dried a little with a paper towel. Good to go unless it recurs then I do the same process. I've never understood how someone could get hardened, dried, crusty poop off a chick's butt with a "moistened" anything.

I hold their little butts under lukewarm running water and gently massage the poop off. Once clean, they get dried a little with a paper towel. Good to go unless it recurs then I do the same process. I've never understood how someone could get hardened, dried, crusty poop off a chick's butt with a "moistened" anything.
LOL...really? Just this weekend a store we were in there was a chick with terrible pasty butt. I brought it to the clerks attention. Her reply “what? That? oh they all get that it’s normal” I almost bought it just to help it. My husband gave me “that” look ya know?
Some people!

I saw hard poo crusted to my little chick(Luna) on her/his vent and got a warm, damp paper towel and gently peeled it off. Did I do the right thing? My barnevelder hen , when she was a chick, had the same thing and a person at the feed store ( where I bought her) ripped it off like a band aide.

Ripping it off like a bandaid is not cool. It hurts the chick and possibly pull this thing feathers out.
You did good with warm water and gently remove the poop. Pasty butt is not good for chicks. Not treated right away,, like you did, and go unnoticed cause backup and they can die.
So, a pat on the back for being aware and very gentle.

Back
Top Bottom