Poop tray under the roosts with deep litter?

Hello Vermonter!
I live up in Chittenden county and started a 3 lady back yard flock this summer.
I ABSOLUTELY suggest a poop tray even with the deep litter method. Under the roost is where all of the mess ends up. When I started out, I had put shavings all over the bottom of the coop. I would dump the tray and sort of scoop out the other litter that looked suspicious. Now, I don't bother to put anything on the tray. I just pull it out, scrape it off and can leave the rest of the coop for ... well ... lets just say I dont have to do much to it other than add some fresh shavings. In the event that I didn't have the poop tray, I would feel compelled to clean it out. There is a LOT of waste on that tray after just two nights. Its an easy way to keep a super clean coop. I would love to see your coop design and hear more about your plans for winter!!

I'm new to chickens and my coop has only been done for about two weeks but I have decided not to go with poop trays and deep litter method. Thus far I don't regret it, my coop doesn't stink too bad (a little but I would think they all would a little). I do scrape the perches and the "table" to their pop door everyday and will pick out some of the poop from the shavings with what horse people call a "cherry picker" but honestly I don't get much with that.
I figure the poop trays could be added later if I wanted but it sure seems like a lot more work and if my coop were stinky I would do it but not necessary so far. The stink would have to justify the time it takes to clean the poop boards for me. I realize it may not take that long but I have a lot of perch space and 19 chickens. It takes enough time to feed and clean up after 19 chickens, 2 dogs, 2 cats and a horse!

I would say, yes. I'm finding it very easy to clean the roosts off every morning and the litter is staying very clean. Here are two pics of my set-up;

96936_img_0063.jpg

96936_img_0064.jpg

I think it makes it a lot easier to manage the poop. We put down newspaper on the trays and change it every few days. Just take the old paper out to the garden and shake it out as fertilizer and lay down new paper.

Quote:
I would say no. My deep litter sub-ground level dirt floor composting pit has been in use for a couple decades. "I" think poop boards are stupid and unnecessary unless you own a urban backyard artsy craftsy tiny coop that you clean out daily and is painted fushia and mauve to keep up with the neighbors.

Quote:
I would say no. My deep litter sub-ground level dirt floor composting pit has been in use for a couple decades. "I" think poop boards are stupid and unnecessary unless you own a urban backyard artsy craftsy tiny coop that you clean out daily and is painted fushia and mauve to keep up with the neighbors.

Im with ya... I have an urban artsy craftsy coop that is appropriately sized for my 3 chickens. I must point out that it is not fuchsia and mauve. If I had many acres and a huge coop with a "sub-ground level dirt floor composting pit" than I wouldn't have incorporated a poop tray either. Unfortunately, not everyone has what you have. There is no need to be snooty about it and try to make we urban back yard chicken keepers feel badly. Its kind of mean.

Last edited:
thanks for the pics monaname - I am constantly looking for good ideas and your pics help me formulate a few for my own coop. One of my next additions will be a papertowl holder/ an maybe some handy wipes

Achickenwrangler#1 :

thanks for the pics monaname - I am constantly looking for good ideas and your pics help me formulate a few for my own coop. One of my next additions will be a papertowl holder/ an maybe some handy wipes

You're welcome!
love.gif

I don't use a crap board in my coop. I use the deep litter(PineChips) method. I throw a handfull of scratch in there every now and again, and let the chickens turn the litter over. I change out the litter twice a year. With a crap board, You will HAVE to scrape and clean it daily, or at a minimun, every other day. Otherwise you will have mounds, That will turn into mountains of crap if you don't keep up with it. If you enjoy busy work like scrapping a poop board every day, Then put one in there and knock yourself out. I don't know about you, But I have better things to do, then to be out there scrapping a crappy board off every day. Monaname, I remember when the roost bars in my coop were as clean as the one in your pics. That's the day the coop was finished, and the chickens had not yet set foot in it. They don't look like that anymore.
Jack

Back
Top Bottom