Poop with ‘egg white’ around - stress?

Nicky S

Songster
May 30, 2021
Southern CT
So my sweetest girl Crumpet did a poop this morning that looked like it was surrounded with egg white (see pic). The flock spent the day and night in the garage because of wildfire smoke….could this be a stress response? I’ve seen one like it a while back in the coop, but I have one girl on atb due to a wound and assumed it was her. I just lost another girl to a massive inoperable tumor, so I’m on hyper alert. Crumpet is acting normally - she is going a bit bald at the sides of her head, but I’m pretty sure it’s from pecking / mating, and this morning I saw she’s broken the very tip of her beak 😩 but she ate some egg I made her just fine. I have no way of knowing if she’s laying, but she’s definitely been in the nesting box. Other paranoias: just discovered rats in the run (not coop) so I’m worried about diseases, and I removed mushrooms I saw growing in the run yesterday and put them in the garage trash can, but then I brought everyone in because of air quality and forgot the mushrooms were in the trash, so potentially she could have eaten one. As I said, I’m half panicked after losing a girl recently. Thank you!

Attachments

• 7B5FF9F6-1C02-43D3-9B7C-FFF0515EB923.jpeg
    7B5FF9F6-1C02-43D3-9B7C-FFF0515EB923.jpeg
    511.1 KB · Views: 14
  • C57C51A0-B080-425A-A961-A55B09C47263.jpeg
    C57C51A0-B080-425A-A961-A55B09C47263.jpeg
    556.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 0A905327-ACFD-4E62-9E7C-B1A18C8E973E.jpeg
    0A905327-ACFD-4E62-9E7C-B1A18C8E973E.jpeg
    462.7 KB · Views: 7
I have seen a lot of weird poops through the years. I would only worry if she keeps doing it. Do you know when she last laid and egg?

I have seen a lot of weird poops through the years. I would only worry if she keeps doing it. Do you know when she last laid and egg?
I don’t - they all lay very similar eggs except my austra white. I have seen her in the nesting box within the last week though. I’ll see if I can monitor her poops more closely - thank you!

Yeah, I was only thinking that some of what you saw could be that an egg broke inside her, but it didn't look like that from the picture. You would have seen some yolk with it, too.

Yeah, I was only thinking that some of what you saw could be that an egg broke inside her, but it didn't look like that from the picture. You would have seen some yolk with it, too.
That’s good to know. I feel like I’ve never examined poop so much since I got chickens 😂

Back
Top Bottom