Poop!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by pattee, Dec 10, 2008.

1. pattee

pattee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    SO now I have more or less grown birds that I let free roam in my yard (an extra lot). I love them to be free roaming.... BUT the chicken poop is so much I have a hard time with it! What do you all do about it if it's all over your grass??? And deck??? And back porch???

My husband wants to fence in an area that is just ""theirs".

What do you all do about the ......

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I keep mine in a fenced area and rake it up every few days. It is dry and warm here so it dries up and doesn't smell. I was thinking about starting a few worm beds, just for a trial run. Haven't done it yet, but have a lot of rakings saved up in a dry, sheltered area for when i run across some boards to make it with.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I just hose off the deck occasionally, and have backyard only shoes. Anyone who comes over is warned to not wear nice shoes. If you feed them on the deck they'll be attracted to the deck, and hang out there. Mine are coming after the cat food on the deck. After the first summer I got tired of worrying about the poop. [​IMG]
    Imp/Russ

4. pattee

pattee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Thanks to you both...
    I do have backyard shoes... nope don't invite them on the deck they just have free range... I take the hose and water down their poop into the grass... my neighbors must think I'm crazy watering in Dec... but by Spring I bet I have the greenest grass in town [​IMG]

I just hate walking out into the yard and come back caked in chicken poop... and I love them!!!!!

5. ole-crone

ole-crone Chillin' With My Peeps

We free range ours too but we have an area of the backyard that is mostly just for us. If the poop is getting to you, you're husband's idea might make them ore enjoyable.

6. consdrs

consdrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    I too loved free range chickens. but problem is, they dig and poop... A LOT!! I have 9 and they seem to think it is great fun and spend a great deal of their time "free ranging" throwing the gravel walk way into the grass... I spent way too much time putting the gravel back into the walkway and then watering my porch and the grass! If they weren't scratching rocks everywhere they spent their time digging in the flower beds, YIKES!! something had to give. first I pick up chicken poop and compost it then pick up dog poop. I spend WAY too much time picking up poo. we ended up getting one of the 3'x50' (cheap!) plastic fencing and fencing stakes. we fenced them off the back half of the yard. this is a huge chunk of our 14,000 sf lot. dog poop on one side and chicken poop on the other. I still pick it up but don't water my brick patio...

7. Chicken Boo

Chicken Boo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Glenn Dale, MD
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:I just went out to check on and feed the chickens, and as I walked across the deck I started laughing thinking about this post. With freezing weather expected this weekend (in Seattle), I was wondering how many times I was gonna slip and fall on the the slimy, wet, poopy deck this winter and need to run back in the house to change before work. At least four times last year.
    My newest RIR thinks she is a parrot and like to climb on everything, I think I have lots of cleaning ahead of me.
    I'm so glad that chicken poop isn't as bad as cat poop. I have plenty of that as well.

9. corydonald

corydonald Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2008
    my coop
    throw ploppy on garden.

10. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Screen in your back porch and if deck put on a top. It is wonderful rain or shine. And like the others said have a dedicated area for them to roam. I don't free range here. I have a large fenced in area that as money dictates will get much....... larger with time. there are too many dogs roamming free , cats that are hunters and hawks above. They got one of my bluebirds this summer. I saw it and cried. The male fought for her but the hawk won. The male raised the brood. What a father.
    I found out before I got chicks the damage they do to gardens and yards by a bunch of bantams from next door. I enjoy the chicks and love them too. Such clowns. Jean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by