Pooping in the FEED bin/Roosting on the Font

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cheeptrick, Jun 16, 2007.

1. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    OK...here is a picture of the culprit! My question is HOW can we stop them from roosting on the font and 'getting in the feeder'? I've got up 3 roosting bars...but only 6 will get on them. The rest huddle in the corner at night. Are these 6 higher in the pecking order? And will roosters dominate the roosting bars? HMMMMMM.............
    [​IMG]
    One for fun...
    [​IMG]
    These are Easter Eggers by the way!

2. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    [​IMG]

sorry can't help with idea's but that picture sure is FUNNY!

3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Tooo funny!!

Loose the handle that you are tying this from. Get a lid from a 5 gallon bucket, and a drill bit about the same size as the rope you are hanging it from. Drill a hole in the bottom of the feeder and in the center of the bucket lid. Feed the string thru the lid then the feeder, knot at the bottom. TADA! I've had to do this to keep the rain out of mine.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I would just make a cardboard cone to put over the string and the handles. Kind of like a cone sandwich so that you can keep your current set up. Like add a roof to the thing... do I make any sense?

5. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    yes...I think I could manage that easily! Is there a concern with the chickens eating their own poop? I know that sounds bad...I clean it out frequently! Also...should I rake out the run? The poop is really starting to pile up! I've got a great compost bin/compost system...got DE coming in the mail soon also. I've been trying to keep it clean...and was concerned all the poop wasn't good for them? Am I worried about nothing?

6. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    For a more permanent solution, you can use a squirrel baffle like the kind that go over bird feeders to keep your chickens and their dropping out of the feeder and waterer.

Here's a picture of my 'outhouse'-coop before the girls moved in:
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by