Poopy Behinds

Aub

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 8, 2011
I just got chicks this week, all are doing well. I have one girl, Kevin, who has a poopy behind all the time. I have to clean her hiney at least once or twice a day. She is the only one having issues like this. She is a Silkie so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. The rest of them all have butts that are just as fuzzy and they manage to stay clean.
What's going on?
Who cleans their rears in the wild?

Quote:
There mom's clean it i think... And its good you clean it. If you didnt she would die i think.. And is she named kevin from up!?!??! The movie!?!?
lau.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
And being a silkie she is prob WAY more fluffay!

If you have a plastic water, you can add a teaspoon of Apple Cider Vinegar to the water it will help. I wipe their butts with warm water and a paper town then finish it off with a good dabbing of baby oil with a Q-tip Once you find one, you need to make sure you check that one ever time because it's a good chance they will get it back. The ones that don't have pasty butt, get a dab of baby oil just to be safe

I trim the poopy heinies. Then the poop can't get stuck on in the same place, at least. Its quicker and easier than warm water and baby oil and the feathers grow in the same.

Iheartchicks<3
smile.png
:

There mom's clean it i think... And its good you clean it. If you didnt she would die i think.. And is she named kevin from up!?!??! The movie!?!?
lau.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
And being a silkie she is prob WAY more fluffay!

She is actually named after my Brother in law. I told him Kevin is a stupid name but it would be even stupider for a pet. And he's kinda narcissistic. Figures the one I would have issues with is Kevin!! But I do love the giant bird, Kevin, in Up!

I wondered if putting ointment on would help. I guess baby oil would do the trick.​

I like keeping things trimmed up back there for birds that tend to clump for some reason. It's not because your chick is a silkie...I think some of them just don't squat back at the right angle
hu.gif

My Barred Rock had the same problem. I thought for sure she will not like me after cleaning her fluffy hind end a few times every day for the first few days. Well not only is she super friendly but she's a fantastic layer!!!
47b20s0.gif

To me the easiest way is hold them under gently running warm water. Yes, be sure you grease him afterwards. I like Vaseline or Neosporin because they're thicker and seem to stay put a little longer, but most anything will do, cooking oil is good, Crisco is also fine. And the trimming idea is also good if they are in the way.

This is said not to happen to chicks raised by mamas. I've had a few clutches hatch and be raised this way and have not seen it. A little organic ACV or yogurt might help, by giving some probiotics. Keep the yogurt quantity small if you use it as they can't digest lactose.

Back
Top Bottom