PoOpY bUtT???

TN.MamaHen

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 28, 2009
Middle Tennessee
Ok I have a one week old chick,I believe has/had poopy butt. I read about this problem on here,and carefully cleaned her/him up with warm water and cloth,and dried it up good. But its butt looks a little pooched out and red...should I put some neosporin or something on it? Should I be concerned? I want my baby to be ok!!
sad.png

yes put the neosporin on it
also it is too hot where the chick is
the temp should be around 90 for a week old chick
do the chicks have good ventilation and not a draft
probably it is just the growing that has him all puffed up
what have they been eating?
if grains besure you feed grit

hopefully the neosporin will cure the rash

Yeah,the temp is perfect,right on the dot.I have only had them for about 2 days and since they have been here,they have been fed chick starter feed. No drafts,because they are in the house,I'm a bit over protective.
lol.png
I will try a little neosporin then,thanks for your help!!

The info I read about this says to put vaseline on the area after cleaning it. I had the same issue with two of my chicks. It only happened once to each of them and I soaked them in water can cleaned them off and have not had a problem since. They are now two and three weeks old. I was looking for it though since what I read said that they can die from it.

What I read didn't say anything about an infection. It was something about the hole being blocked and them being unable to poop. The neosporin does make sense though when you think about it.

It's actually not staph, it's septicemia that they can die from; the poop backs up in their intestinal tract and can literally tear the lining of the intestines and leak out. But, so long as you clean it up, they're okay. They typically don't have it much after 7-10 days. I simply gently (VERY gently) pick any hardened pieces off; with the pieces, some of their down comes off, and they're none too happy about it, but by removing the down from around their vent, it does help subsequent poops to not get stuck.

Back
Top Bottom