poopy butt

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ajplmama, Feb 20, 2014.

1. ajplmama

ajplmama Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2008
    Nova Scotia
    I have a few hens and my rooster with poopy butts. I've never really had this before but I do know how to clean it. I did a search here and didn't find any conversations about why this happens. Could it be worms? Diet? They are eating the same thing as always. Weather is cold alternating with wet and they do seem to be extra dirty this winter. Out of 30 birds, 8 have messy bottoms.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Use scissors to trim feathers and fluff back, then they'll have a "clear shot" to the ground....no more poopy butt.

3. ajplmama

ajplmama Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2008
    Nova Scotia
    Thanks.

4. PimentoPlymouth

PimentoPlymouth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    I have also heard put a little vaseline below the vent to help it from sticking to feathers.

5. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Make sure your waterers are very clean and maybe add ACV to the water. I had one out of 13 in that situation a few months back. Don't know if the ACV or just time cleared it up, but it cleared up.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Probably a better idea for intestinal health are probiotics in the water 2 or 3 days a week. Probios makes a good one that is water soluble, and their is one from Rooster Booster that includes vitamins.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by