poopy butts

chicken jane1

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 28, 2014
I have been having this problem for months now. My hens have disgusting poopy butts. They are acting fine, full of energy and doing all the normal hen things. I have treated them with apple cider vinegar (with mother) and Sulfamet with no improvement. The rooster is not effected but I did lose a hen yesterday. They free range about 70% of the time and have a staple diet of "Layer pellet". Can anyone help please

Have you tried Corrid? It's an antibiotic you add to their water for diarrhea. Good luck and sorry for your loss.

Have you tried Corrid? It's an antibiotic you add to their water for diarrhea. Good luck and sorry for your loss.

Corrid is not an antibiotic - nor is it a treatment for diarrhea - -it is a coccidistat/antiprotazoal that is for treatment of coccidia which *can* present with fecal symptoms

I have been wondering if it may be vent gleet but I would think they would be quiet ill by now if that was the problem.

Thank you for your clarification. You are indeed correct it is for protozoa NOT bacteria. I really appreciate this forum and the expertise here. I used it during a case of coccidiosis in chics and the supplier where I purchased explained that it stated cocci, so it must be an anitbacterial. I apologize if I miss led anyone and am glad to have learned something new :) In my experience with our flock I always learn something new, and it is great to have such a wonderful support system.

OK I am currently treating them with Corid. Please keep your fingers crossed for me. Thank you for your suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom