Poopy egg??

CharlotteRenee

Songster
8 Years
Mar 31, 2015
Hampden MA
So, just now I went to check for eggs and I found 2. One was perfectly smooth and clean as usual, but the other had some poop and hay stuck to it. We just put new hay in the nesting boxes yesterday so its not like they were sitting in poo.

Any help would be amazing!

I did the same yesterday i cleaned out the coop and put fresh hay in. This after noon i went to get the eggs and one or two had poop on them. I have one hen that sleeps in the nesting box and several others who practice through out the day whether they poop in it i dont know. I do know the hen that sleeps there (she actually one of the highest ranking hens) does. I think it can happen if some one sleeps there at night for sure.

So, just now I went to check for eggs and I found 2. One was perfectly smooth and clean as usual, but the other had some poop and hay stuck to it. We just put new hay in the nesting boxes yesterday so its not like they were sitting in poo.

Any help would be amazing!

I did the same yesterday i cleaned out the coop and put fresh hay in. This after noon i went to get the eggs and one or two had poop on them. I have one hen that sleeps in the nesting box and several others who practice through out the day whether they poop in it i dont know. I do know the hen that sleeps there (she actually one of the highest ranking hens) does. I think it can happen if some one sleeps there at night for sure.
)

If your hens are sleeping in the boxes, that could be the cause of dirty eggs. Watch to see where they sleep. Hens sleeping in the nest boxes is a bad habit. Their roosting perches need to be higher than the nest boxes. I prefer hay or straw in my boxes and I haven't had any issues with dirty eggs at all.

Something else l've seen in some of my previous flocks is a hen will lay an egg with a little poop on it as it comes out. However it is very rare for me to see that. Good luck.

Last edited:
Its just a suggestion, i used it before and for my hens its worse it a total pain with my coop. The hay is heavy enough they dont just kick it all out. I think if its just alittle poop its fine i clean the hay out once every two weeks if needed.

Despite clean nest bedding, poop on eggs can happen from them tracking it in on their feet...or an occasional 'oops' poop while laying.
Of course, the first thing to check is if they are sleeping in nests...that almost guarantees poopy eggs.

Back
Top Bottom