Poopy feather stuck on baby chick, tried cutting

My favorite way to clear pasty butt...

Items needed: Wear a long sleeved shirt. Good quality toilet paper, a wash cloth. Get the water running warm before you bring chickie into the house. Have the hair dryer waiting too.

Least stressful way I've found to do this:

First, pick the chick up with your non-dominant hand. (If you're right handed, pick up in your left hand).

Pick the chick up from above, much like you would grab a computer mouse. Have the head facing your wrist, butt facing your fingers, back is covered with the palm of your hand.

Let the chick tuck its head into your long sleeved shirt- much like being under momma hen, this calms them considerably.

Turn the water on, gently running warm water over the vent. Because you're holding the chick with it's back into your palm, the water should only hit the vent and the area just below the vent.

Once the poop is cleared, set the chick down on the counter on a washcloth. Use the good-quality toilet paper like a little hotel robe, and dab up as much moisture as you can with the toilet paper. Toilet paper is MUCH more gentle on their butts than paper towels (blow your nose with a paper towel - not a nice experience) and more absorbent than the washcloth.

Once chickie is as dry as you can manage with the toilet paper, cover it with your hand the same way you picked it up so it can hide its head in your sleeve- but let it stand on the counter for the blow dry. Of course, make sure the air is warm before it hits the chick. Get everything fluffy again.

If it likes to stay in your sleeve, carry it out that way, then tuck back under momma.
Excellent! Thanks for the great advice! ... I didn't know mumma hen wouldn't worry about her chick if she can't hear it. Does she forget she even had a that chick? Or since she can't hear the chick crying she isn't worried about it? I have taken an 8 week chick away from mumma hen before for a few hours then put it back in with her again and she seemed to accept the chick like it never left :)
I'll keep an eye out on the chicks butts and use your cleaning method if something gets stuck there again :)
Thanks!

Take a wet paper towel and try to wipe it off it may some what take an hour sometimes but usally less than 30 minutes its called pasty but it comes from stress or if ur chicks to cold try putting a heat pad under mama hen for extra warmth u dont wanna over cook ur chicken if it seems weak give it garlic applesider vingear water or green tea but i dont fully recommend green tea just use gralic applsider vingear honey water i would nt sugeest green tea espically cause there young chicks
Green tea?
Please, OP, this person is not trustworthy (look at their other posts) and they don’t seem to know a thing.
This is not pasty butt.

Back
Top Bottom