poopy feathers & black skin on bottom

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by janetk, Sep 10, 2010.

1. janetk

janetk Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    I have a 5 year old layer whose first symptoms I saw were her walking gingerly like she hurt her hips. Now she's got poopy feathers. The poop is brown-I don't see any blood. It smells but not tremendously bad. I just examined her and found the skin on her bottom is black and hard. It's about a 2 inch round area and solid. I see no mites or lice. I am offering her yogurt, electrolyte & beneficial bacteria in water. Any suggestions?

2. janetk

May 3, 2009
    Well, she made it through the nite. Still has all the same symptoms. Is the black from dying skin or what? not sure how to proceed with treatment. Please advise.

3. janetk

May 3, 2009
    I could really use some advice from anyone who knows what I'm dealing with. I am getting an antibiotic Oxy-something I'll put in her water. I soaked her bottom and trimmed the feathers. Poo wasn't that stinky. There is a round area below her vent about the size of a orange slice. The skin feels leathery and is black. What is this? No lice & mites. No breast bumps. HELP

4. ejctm

ejctm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    VILLAGE IN THE SHIRES
    Hi Janet, it might help if you could post some pics.

There is a similar thread about a "cancerous lump" which you might want to look at to see if it is the same problem. By the way, it seems as if the lump in that chicken is most likely a bad staph infection and probably not cancer, so don't panic, but do follow the thread to see if it helps you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by