Poor baby just wants a nap!

Yeah, they are all settling down after a hearty lunch. This poor baby was just so tired!
smile.png

First couple days out of the shell are exhausting. Sleepy baby
love.gif

CityGirlintheCountry – I must apologize. I have been meaning to thank you much sooner

Many moons ago (or threads) – I am no longer even sure which one (thread not moon vs thread
tongue.png
)– you stated that you have noticed a trend in your Ameraucanas and EEs. 3 visible rows are cockerels and none/single are pullets. To which I promptly threw a hissy fit, as my beloved ee chick Marilyn was showing 3 rows and yes he is a beautiful beloved rooster now (still Marilyn).

I have used this – at one time crushing - advice to smashing success. Last year I picked a trio of Ameraucanas at 3 days of age, who indeed turned out to be a cockerel and two pullets. I had only reserved 3 chicks from the shipment, so getting gender correct was important too me.

I also use it on my home hatched ee chicks to guess gender – I would say I am 95% at this (slow maturing cockerels can be tricky).

So thank you, thank you, thank you.
ya.gif

Quote:
OT - Okay you two, explain this to me. I'm still trying to guess the gender of Rowdy - EE/turken mix. Everything about this chick says female, except for the comb.

You are very welcome, Horsefeathers! Some one pointed that trick out to me long ago. I think it was Lauralou. At any rate, it is for me the easiest way to sex them. I get the feather thing all confused. The ridges though have proven to be really accurate. They start showing up fairly early in the game too. I'm starting to be able to tell when they are still fairly young. Glad I could pass it on and that it has helped you!
smile.png

Gritty- on boy AMs and EEs their comb has three parallel ridges. This is what eventually grows into the rooster peacomb. When they are small though it is three side by side rows. The girls either don't show any ridges or they show one that is more prominent. The girls do eventually grow a peacomb too. Theirs just isn't as large. I'm with HF in that I am about 95% accurate on sexing them that way. You do every now and then get a boy that is slow.
smile.png

Okay thanks.
smile.png
Not sure it's going to work on Rowdy though, as she/he has a single comb like her daddy Impy.

I'm really confused on her gender. She feathered out like a pullet, but that comb says cockerel.
hmm.png

Huh. The single comb does change things.
smile.png

If it helps, I have a buff orp hen that has a roostery looking comb. I wasn't convinced of her gender until she laid an egg.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom