Poor Bantam Hen Attacked by About 5 Standard Cockerels/Roosters

Status
Not open for further replies.
What in the world were you thinking when you put her in there with them,
roll.png
sometimes a little common sense goes a long way. I am just wondering if you learned your lesson or will there be more post like this just to make you feel better.

AL

FYI we started with a lot of them in there so it was equal until they started dying. We still have a lot other hens it's just that I was the factor that started it! What do you mean by "feel better"???
somad.gif
rant.gif
smack.gif

I am sorry your bantam hen is injured. I hope you can find somewhere to place her away from the rest of them.

What caused your other hens to start dying? could what happened to your hen have happened to your previous ones?

I hate to say it but I would remove all hens from all those roos or you will end up with a lot of dead hens. Too many roos, will wage war on your hens and they will not be able to recuperate no matter what size they are.

Poor little fuzzy butt, I hope she feel better soon, keep us posted.

Ema

An equal amount of hens and roos will still cause chaos in your coop. That could be why your hens started dieing... bantams shouldn't be kept with LF roos in those conditions. You should take your bantam hen and roo and put them somewhere away from your LF and get to work on sending most of them to the pot. I hope she will be ok. Good luck
smile.png

Roosters don't rape hens...they mate with them. Unfortunately keeping too many roos with too few hens...especially when it's LF roos with bantam hens and you will end up with dead hens. I keep the bantams I've got seperate from my LF. As someone already said...common sense goes a long way.

A lot of them started dying because since we kept them outside in a large pen with two small houses they had grit and fresh air. When they moved in the house before winter we forgot the whole grit idea so what we think is, is that they didn't have the grit to digest their food so then they died. Another factor was that there was no wind to blow the dust away so they got these eye infections and that's when they started dying in masses. I really wished that we had separated them in different pens. That was what we originally planed but they outsmarted us and escaped. The house also turned out to small for pens. And yes, I know they don't rape hens but when the hen doesn't want it I consider it rape.

Yes, you need to keep the bantams seperate from the big chickens from now on... okay? Do you have a way to do that?
Its just a disaster waiting to happen...
Good luck!

Last edited:
I wished we had a way to but for now it's just the freezer. We actually have planned to butcher many of them because we don't have enough money to buy feed for them anymore. Well at least not enough with the three evil and creepy "piglets" and the fat and selfish LF roosters.

Quote:
Agreed.. everyone makes mistakes..
thumbsup.gif

Its okay.
Just learn from them..
hugs.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom