1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Poor Blind month old duckling

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ducky 13, Dec 4, 2015.

1. ducky 13

ducky 13 Chillin' With My Peeps

We had ducklings hatch about a month ago, everything seemed fine until I noticed our white duckling falling over and bumping into things about a week ago. I have her inside and she can't see at all, I waved my hands right in front of her eyes and she didn't move her head whatsoever. She has a hard time finding the food and water without the other ducks help. She wasn't blind until about a week ago. I'm thinking of keeping her inside until it gets better. Or keeping her inside for good. What should I do?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    If at all possible a good duck vet could help.

Sometimes ducklings are blind - I am not familiar with all the reasons. It could be special nutritional needs (not blaming you - some ducklings just seem to need more of something than most of the rest). Or there could be a congenital problem, or injury involved.

Blind ducks often do okay - Using something that makes noise to direct them to food and water may be an important first step. Special needs ducks can bring much joy, from many stories I have read.

I would give some poultry vitamins once a week and see if there is any improvement.

@ducky 13

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. ducky 13

ducky 13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Alright thank you, she seems to be eating fine, I help her find water. She gets picked on a lot though, so I am going to bring her inside when I have everything she needs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by