poor buff bramha pullet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rosco, Jul 12, 2010.

1. rosco

rosco Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    standing in the yard i heard a noise from behind me in the chicken coop. it sounded like a chicken had run into something or they were playing. i turned around and i saw this buff bramha on its stomach looking like it was "dusting" itself. (a silkie approached it, took a close look then left the coop for the yard). then it rolled on its back and started kicking its legs. then it turned its head as a snake does when it is dying from a blunt trama wound. i quickly removed it from the coop and checked for injury or illness. nothing so i laid it on the other side of the yard.

i made a phone call to a friend and came back out and took these pic's. [​IMG] [​IMG]

when i checked and later checked, i noticed no parasites, no odd feces in the coop area; no blood; no wetness around the nostrils; just a little bit of mucus on the tongue but nothing visible (it just came off when i handled the beak); etc. i did see some wet feces on its chest. looking at the ramp in the coop, i saw similar feces that bad been brushed, probably by its chest feathers. my guess is the noise i heard was it falling down as it ran out to see me, fell and broke its neck. this explains the suddenness of it, the noise i heard and the suprised reaction of the silkie.

the pullet breathed for another five minutes then became stiff (as seen in this photo taken 15 minutes after the accident). it is now in the trash. i have no intention on involving a vet unless others start to die or look sick. i very much doubt they will. tons of ventilation, tons of room to spread their feces and no signs of sickness.

i'll post a photo of the ramp here in a minute.

man, that was going to be a pretty hen. it happened so quickly [​IMG]

2. rosco

rosco Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    it was my fault. the ramp was insecure and it must have lost its balance and fell. that is was i heard. the poor little girl running out for a hand-out of bread crumbs and crash. this particular bird ran in a funny manner. she'd flap her wings and kinda jump/hop. like, "ahhahahdahhhhha."

here is a photo of where it slid and where it fell. including the insecure ramp. [​IMG]

i just fixed it so it won't happen again. [​IMG]

3. RachelFromTheBlackLagoon

RachelFromTheBlackLagoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Wallingford, CT
    Aw, I'm so sorry [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by