Poor Camilla, RIP

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Gazinga, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Gazinga

Gazinga Chook Norris

I had a new young poult named Camilla. I tried to introduce her to the rest of the adult flock. I built a run of her own next to the adult hens, so they could get used to her for about 3 weeks, then moved her to a cage during the day inside the run so they could get even more used to her. There were no signs of aggression and all seemed well. Day one the hens seemed to accept her just fine, i was relaxed about all of it. SHe went in the coop at night fall with no proding at all, agian all seemed well. I went out to check on the girls the next morning and found the horror of three hens pecking her in teh corner of the run! i quickly pulled her from the run but she passed away soon after. I am so sad, she was a sweet girl. I hope i did things right for her, please give any constructive critizisum (sp?)

2. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    [​IMG] you did everything right, sometimes it does happen....

3. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    You didn't do anything wrong, though probably if there were 2 poults the attention would have been either lessened or divided.

But these things happen. I am sorry about your little poult. It is hard to lose a favorite. [​IMG]

4. Vince

Vince Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2009
    Harrison, Tn
    Maybe a little longer seperation and then slight introductions while supervised. I waited the recomended month and had the same result. I feel your loss and am sorry. Get you another one and try again you will do fine. Good luck.

5. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    How sad for you and poor Camilla. So sorry for your loss. You tried so hard. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by