Poor Charlie and Dolores

Well I can get them in the bath . We have an Avian Flu lock down at the moment lasting until end of Feb. However I have been wrapping them in towels (to stop the flapping) and taking them to the bathroom to see if I can get their legs moving. Dolores moves about the bath quite well (Charlie also does but cos he's bigger it takes a bit of manoevering). Bathroom looks like a Monsoon has hit it but what the heck. Yes hopefully Dolores will get going soon so she doesn't get left out.
I didn't realize you were in the UK.

Well so far I've never had either of my geese in the bath tub but I can imagine what the bath room would look like after just watching them bathe in their out door pools. lol

I didn't realize you were in the UK.

Well so far I've never had either of my geese in the bath tub but I can imagine what the bath room would look like after just watching them bathe in their out door pools. lol

Yes - Internet is an amazing thing isn't it - I didn't think to put location on my profile :S Charlie has improved so much. Today (Sun) he has spent the entire day walking and standing - I noticed he had a slight limp yesterday and kept sitting. No sign of limp now and he seems very perky. Had Dolores in bath yesterday but she mainly floated and occasionally paddled a little only with one leg. Still eating and drinking and both still having their 1/4 tab daily. Sadly I don't think it's going to be a good outcome for her. However, will keep it going for next week or so before I make any decision - not looking forward to that!

Yes - Internet is an amazing thing isn't it - I didn't think to put location on my profile :S Charlie has improved so much. Today (Sun) he has spent the entire day walking and standing - I noticed he had a slight limp yesterday and kept sitting. No sign of limp now and he seems very perky. Had Dolores in bath yesterday but she mainly floated and occasionally paddled a little only with one leg. Still eating and drinking and both still having their 1/4 tab daily. Sadly I don't think it's going to be a good outcome for her. However, will keep it going for next week or so before I make any decision - not looking forward to that!
@CatieJ I hope you don't have to make that decision and she begins to show improvement. Great news on Charlie

You have looked very carefully over both her legs for any wounds or infection No swelling or redness or heat any one place? I know you probably have but have to ask.

@CatieJ I hope you don't have to make that decision and she begins to show improvement. Great news on Charlie

You have looked very carefully over both her legs for any wounds or infection No swelling or redness or heat any one place? I know you probably have but have to ask.
Never hurts to ask the question. I have check and double-checked her legs and feet. No redness, swelling or heat. If anything they are , I think, quite cool (bordering on cold). Although not dramatically, she lists to one side (even in water). I'm wondering if she has had a slight stroke actually. she is eating and drinking but if she wants to move (which is rarely) it's with wing power, doesn't attempt to use her legs at all.

Never hurts to ask the question. I have check and double-checked her legs and feet. No redness, swelling or heat. If anything they are , I think, quite cool (bordering on cold). Although not dramatically, she lists to one side (even in water). I'm wondering if she has had a slight stroke actually. she is eating and drinking but if she wants to move (which is rarely) it's with wing power, doesn't attempt to use her legs at all.
Could possibly been a stroke, sounds like some sort of neurological problem Is there any possibility you could take her to a vet and let them give you some ideas of what it could be. I know that is not always feasible or if you would even have a vet that would look at her?There aren't any vets in our area that will see poultry of any kind.

Could possibly been a stroke, sounds like some sort of neurological problem Is there any possibility you could take her to a vet and let them give you some ideas of what it could be. I know that is not always feasible or if you would even have a vet that would look at her?There aren't any vets in our area that will see poultry of any kind.

I think we are in the same boat as you regarding vets/poultry. Although having said that one of our female vets keeps chickens and tries to be helpful. They send the mobile van to a local village once a week so I'll pop her down so she can at least be seen (rather than just having a description of the the symptoms). Unfortunately, birds tend to be considered fairly disposable around here..

I think we are in the same boat as you regarding vets/poultry. Although having said that one of our female vets keeps chickens and tries to be helpful. They send the mobile van to a local village once a week so I'll pop her down so she can at least be seen (rather than just having a description of the the symptoms). Unfortunately, birds tend to be considered fairly disposable around here..
That is the way it is alot of places. Or any animal, we use to have a lot of dogs cats and puppies dumped on our road because it's rural and dead end I guess I have no idea. But in the last few years it has gotten better. Someone dumped a Naked neck rooster at our church once and after trying my hardest to find him a home I ended up bring him here he was such a cool roo but my game bantam roo hated him and made his life miserable so after 4 months I found him a new home.

Let us know what the vet thinks.

That is the way it is alot of places. Or any animal, we use to have a lot of dogs cats and puppies dumped on our road because it's rural and dead end I guess I have no idea. But in the last few years it has gotten better. Someone dumped a Naked neck rooster at our church once and after trying my hardest to find him a home I ended up bring him here he was such a cool roo but my game bantam roo hated him and made his life miserable so after 4 months I found him a new home.

Let us know what the vet thinks.
Yes, I certainly will :)

Back
Top Bottom