poor chick can't stand happy update #16

citalk2much

Twilight Blessings Farm
11 Years
Dec 22, 2008
GR MI: TN bound!
Okay before someone tells me to do a site search. I can't I don't have a working computer I use a blackberry
Okay now that is out of the way
I had a broody on 7 eggs that started to hatch last night sometime. Well Fri night when I checked under the broody one of the eggs had the whole side crushed with the shell gone I went to pitch the eggs when I felt the baby move well I put it right back under the broody and prayed for the best.
This afternoon there where 5 babies running the nest box I checked under her and the poor baby had all the shell gone but had its little beck out and the membrane was dry so I got the membrane off it and put it under mom to dry this evening I went to move them to a better spot and the poor little one can't stand it bounces on its bent legs. I have a picture of this if someone needs to see it I can email it

Last edited:
Quote:
how does one cull? geessh i must be a chicken....lol just couldn't do it! But i know it needs to be done sometimes.

Hope for the best!

I would say do a search on splayed leg, but....

It really depends on what the leg problem is. If one leg is out to the side, you can often correct it with a splint. Tape the legs together with a Bandaid or tape for several days. If not, you can give it a couple of days and see how it goes; it could correct itself. You would have to be sure it eats and drinks, and is not harassed by the others, of course. If it is just curled toes, that can also often be corrected with tape and lightweight cardboard for a splint.

If you must cull a baby, probably the simplest is to snip its head off with good strong sharp scissors, or do a sort of twisting/snapping motion with the head. Might as well learn; it will come up again.

Sorry!

To SillyStunt...Sometimes it is best for the chick. I have only had to cull 2 newborns so far. But I also believe if we are going to bring chicks into this world, then we must take the responsibility of doing the right things for those chicks. In my cases the chicks would of suffered much worse in the long run if I had not stood up and culled. It was hard, I had never killed intentionally before owning chickens, now sometimes it is a must. Sorry if you don't agree. How will you be able to watch one suffer its self to death? Because I am inclined to believe one day you will be faced with this issue. What will you do then?

Quote:
Geeeesshhhh
think you miss understood me!i never said i didnt agree, please re read my post. I UNDERSTAND IT NEEDS TO BE DONE. I am justa chickens
duc.gif

Thanks!
tongue.gif
hide.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
think you miss understood me! please re read my post. I UNDERSTAND IT NEEDS TO BE DONE. I am justa chickens
duc.gif

Thanks!
tongue.gif
hide.gif

Okay I'm sorry , Just a little upset still. I just did this deed about 15 minutes before this post, I get very sensitive when I have to do these things. Once again I apologize.

Back
Top Bottom