Poor chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Blueyes132, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Blueyes132

Blueyes132 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2016
    montana
    Is it common for a chick at abt a week old just sit there and cry with eyes closed?

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

I would consider that behavior abnormal and it suggests to me that the chick is in some kind of distress. Is the chick eating, drinking, and pooping normally? Is the temperature appropriate in the brooder (not too cold or hot)? Are there any other unusual symptoms?

3. Blueyes132

Jun 24, 2016
    montana
    I've had to clean his bottom twice now. We are limited on power so she and2 others are in a rabbit cage by the fireplace. I have a thermometer placed to monitor the temp. The others seems fine. She is drinking and eating a little bit and has started to move around more. I gave them a dose of corid too.

4. FoodFreedomNow

Glad to hear that the chick seems to be perking up. Offering vitamins/electrolytes and probiotics may also help, especially if he's not feeling well.

Does he have pasty butt? That can be caused, among other things, by chilling...per the following thread, "the temperature should be 90-95 degrees for the first week in the warmest part of the brooder and should be reduced by around 5 degrees each week thereafter, until the chicks have their feathers (5-8 weeks old)" - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...ks-the-first-60-days-of-raising-baby-chickens.

Hope your little guy feels better soon.

5. Blueyes132

Jun 24, 2016
    montana
    Will vitamins and electrolytes help with pasty butt?

6. FoodFreedomNow

They can be helpful with overall health, but won't necessarily target the cause of pasty butt; probiotics would be more helpful. You could try yogurt with active cultures, for example, or a supplement you add to the water, like Sav-A-Chick Probiotic Supplement.

This BYC thread has a number of tips on how to treat and prevent it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/827/help-pasty-butt.

7. Blueyes132

Jun 24, 2016
    montana
    Do you know the dosage for powdered ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by