Poor Cuckoo Marans hatches

hatchingbunnies

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 22, 2009
Maricopa Co. Arizona
I'm scratching my head over this one. I have been hatching for several months now and had no problems (some 100% hatches). Until I started hatching my Cuckoo Marans' eggs. This past hatch I set 15 RIR, 9 Ameraucanas, 9 Cuckoo Marans, and 1 Serama mix. Temp was 100 with no variations, humidity 55%-61% with spikes during hatch. I culled out 2 Marans and 1 RIR for lack of development partway through the hatch. We got 14 RIR's, 9 Ameraucanas, the Serama and only 1 Marans. Of the 7 that made it to day 18, 1 chick, 2 no-shows, and 4 pipped then died. This was my 4th setting of Marans, and every time I get 1-5 chicks out of 9 -15 eggs. They are the only breed showing problems.

Could it be breeder age (they're about 34 weeks old)? Genetic? Or are they more sensitive to temp/humidity than the other breeds? The chicks I do get are large and healthy--they pass the other breeds up in size by a couple of weeks.

I have an older, unidentified cabinet-style incubator with auto-turning that works wonderfully.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Some people believe that the dark coating on the Marans egg causes the egg to retain more moisture. You could do a search on here to find out more information.

Good luck!

I just started trying to hatch BCMs this year. Never hatched anything before, I've always just had a chicken disappear and come back later with a bunch of chicks. I've gotten a few cuckoos out of the broodies so when I set my eggs from other people I always throw in a couple of cuckoo eggs and they always hatch. My worst are the BCMs. It's really sad because they are fully formed and die at the very end. Last time I flat out peeled some that hadn't even pipped. I guess they don't absorb the blood until the air hits the membrane so it's long and tiring and sad for the ones that I got to too late.

I know it's a huge controversy and I really would love it if I could figure out how to make them hatch on their own - one or two always do - but I don't know what goes wrong.

I always read the questions about marans because I think that is how I'll learn. Some people say they hatch great with other eggs and no special humidity.

I would love to hear from people who have really successful hatches. Type of incubator, temp., humidity, and especially hatcher conditions.

Thinking of going back to broodies.

I've been hatching my cuckoo's eggs on and off for several years. I've never incubated them any different than I do my other eggs and incubate them together all the time. I don't have any more of them make it to the end and not hatch than I do any of my other breeds. I generally have good hatches with them.

I keep my temp and humidity the same and hatch them mixed with other eggs, including silkies, bantam cochins, NN, EE, and the only thing I do differently is make sure the air plugs are out from the start, I put the bators up on blocks a little to make sure there is plenty of air circulation. My theory is that they suffocate the last few days or during hatching, due to extra pigment on the egg.

The only Marans I have hatched were from my Cuckoo Marans. I had 8 of 9 hatch. I did not do anything differently than I do usually. I don't know what the problem could be with yours. Sorry, I am no help.

The crazy thing is 100% of everything else in the incubator at the same time hatches! All my RIR's, Ameraucanas, and even the Serama!! And 1 out of 9 on the Cuckoo Marans. My next batch I'm going to try hatching the Marans in an egg carton. I'll post how it turns out.

if air circulation is part of the problem, which I think it is, an egg carton would not help. It would decrease air movement around the eggs. Do you have a circulating fan in your bator? That might really help a lot too.

Back
Top Bottom