1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Poor Earline is dead. :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by birdlover, Dec 2, 2008.

1. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I posted about my stupid cousin putting eggs under Earline over a period of days and, so far, one had hatched. (I gave him my rooster and 4 hens last summer and it's his first tiime with chickens.) They took the baby in the house and Earline continued to sit on the eggs for at least a week longer. I got an email from my cousin's wife this morning. She found Earline in the sheep's waterer dead. She thought Earline was too weakened to get out. Now, I don't know how deep it is and if she drowned or had a heart attack trying to get out. In any case, it was an awful way to start the day. Oh, and she said 3 more eggs were fertile but didn't hatch as they got too cold. [​IMG](((

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I'm so sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

3. andehens

andehens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Scenic Sierra Nevadas
    thats just plain wrong!

[​IMG]

4. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

[​IMG] I'm sorry you lost your bird [​IMG]

5. Patchesnposies

Patchesnposies Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    Birdlover-sorry about Earline.[​IMG] She probably was too weak to get out.

We once had an ornery old jersey cow that was a chicken killer. Whenever one would hop up on her water trough to get a drink she would knock it in and I swear she must have held it down with her head until it drowned.

Lost a gorgeous rooster that way and saved my Americauna hen-just barely. She was nearly drowned in the middle of winter in SD.

I put her in the bathroom with the heater turned up and milked the water out of her craw, dried her off with a blow dryer on low and left her alone to recover. She warmed up and did recover, but was so traumatized that she expelled a bunch of eggs (no shells) in a big bunch and never laid another egg again.

She was our pet and favorite until she died of old age years later.

Again, I am very sorry!

6. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I'm sorry for your loss.

7. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Thank you, everyone. I guess one reason I'm so sad is she never got to be a mommy. When I had them, my buff orp went broody about a week before Earline. I let the orp hatch one egg but didn't give Earline any. After Taffy's egg hatched and they were out and about, Earline came off the nest and tried her best to steal the chick from Taffy. At first, Taffy chased her off but, after several days, she just sort of let Earline hang around and the chick basically had two mothers. I wish she could have had her own babies before this happened. Oh well. I guess life goes on. [​IMG]

8. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    That is just a heartbreaking story. I wonder sometimes how people reason things out. It baffles me sometimes.

9. JanieMarie

JanieMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Georgetown, Minnesota
    So sad. Seems like a tuff mornin for alot of people. Sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by