Poor Hatch of Salmon Faverolles

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DrKatz, Jul 13, 2010.

1. DrKatz

DrKatz New Egg

Mar 11, 2010
    I've raised a couple of different breeds of newborn chicks that I purchased from different hatcheries (e.g., Barred Rock, Easter Egger, Buff Orpington).
    In June, however, I received word from an Ohio hatchery that only 14 of the 50 Salmon Faverolle pullets I ordered had actually hatched. I scrambled
    (sorry about the pun) to pick some other type of pullet to fill out the order and eventually chose 16 Dominiques. This seemed to be a big mistake because
    the Faverolle chicks seemed to be pecked a lot by the Dominiques, and unfortunately I found two Faverolle chicks dead within the first week.

Perhaps I was overly self-confident in my new skills at raising chicks, but I had not lost any chicks in the two previous springs. I really wanted to save the
    remaining 12 Faverolles, so I separated them from the Dominiques. After a few days, both groups of chicks seemed to calm down and I have not had any more
    chick fatalities.

Here's my question -- Are Salmon Faverolle eggs difficult to hatch? I have low expectations that one of the the 12 "survivor" Faverolles will be a roo, so I am
    worried that I won't be able to build up a flock of Faverolles.

Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

2. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

I don't have any personal experience with the faverolles, but I have heard comments from many people saying they are difficult to hatch and seem to have a somewhat higher "failure to thrive" or tendency to be a bit more fragile as chicks than some other breeds. Good luck with your babies; seems that separating was a very good move.

edited to add -- Lawd, Lawd! Where are my manners?!! A very warm "WELCOME" from western Kentucky! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  3. DrKatz

DrKatz New Egg

Mar 11, 2010
    Thank you for your response and good wishes for the chicks.

DrKatz
    (psychotherapist turned chicken mother in Athens Co., Ohio)

P.S. Love your handle, BTW.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by