Poor Hedwig

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by chicknmania, Mar 28, 2009.

1. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Will not be here to start another brood this spring. I found what was left of her in the woods this morning. Probably a hawk, best guess, killed her either today or yesterday afternoon. Last spring she faithfully sat on her eggs, successfully hatched and carefully raised a bunch of beautiful youngsters. She taught them how to avoid predators, what to eat, where to drink, what to watch out for, who their friends were, and single-handedly defended them from predators, too...and when they were plenty old enough, she did what every good mother should do and let them learn to fend for themselves. She later actually went through what we were sure was a period of mourning (or whatever you want to call it when it involves a chicken mom)...sat by the spot where one of her grown babies was killed by a mink or weasel., until it was almost totally dark. Last fall she faithfully sat on a clutch of eggs in our garage, even when it finally turned freezing cold, she stayed there...when the chicks were killed by the cold before hatch she refused to leave the nest for an additional ten days; then sadly booted the eggs out and sat on the floor of the garage for a long time, before returning to the garage: again and again for the next few days, maybe hoping to find her eggs rejuvenated, she would sit in the window sill of the house and try to roost there during that period, instead of returning to the barn at night with the others. We were so looking forward to her starting another brood this year. Her death coming on what I hope is the tail end of a whole string of bad luck which has lasted for days, is very difficult to deal with. I was going to put her in the Memorials thread, but I wanted her to have her own space.

[​IMG]
    Rest in Peace, Hedwig....we love you.

2. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Oh no! I'm so sorry about Hedwig! She sounded like a very devoted mother and very special girl [​IMG]

3. FrizzleFreak

FrizzleFreak Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] [​IMG] You know, if you read the seventh Harry Potter, it was prophecy...So sorry you lost your sweetheart.

4. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

I am so very sorry for the loss of your little darling Hedwig. A loss, no matter what kind, is always hard [​IMG]

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Poor Hedwig. It's a great compliment to a pet to be loved and grieved. Be sorrowful to have lost her but remember the joys of having been touched by her.

6. chickenbuddy

chickenbuddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    [​IMG]

7. thistlecreek1

thistlecreek1 Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2008
    [​IMG] Aw.. she sounds like a real special girl, I'm so sorry you lost her, especially when you are already having some rotten luck.
    *hugs*

8. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    [​IMG]
    It's always to lose a special one [​IMG]
    Take care of her babies, they'll be a constant reminder of how wonderful and loving she was.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by