Poor Hubby just had to explain the birds and bees of chickens

Pookenpeakes

Hatching
11 Years
May 3, 2008
Interlochen, Michigan
Not being a farm boy he didn't understand how chickens work. He thought the hen would lay the egg and the rooster would find them and fertilize them...

Oh the picture is put in my head.. I couldn't help but laugh.. He now knows how it works.

My DH(grew up in Sarasota right smack on the beach) thought that the Case farm feed trucks(look like huge tankers with a big boom type arm that fills the silos with the chick feed) WERE the chicken trucks that actually took the chickens to be processed. He said"So that big arm thing does what...sucks the chickens up into the tank?"
lau.gif
I thought I would DIE laughing. Especially since I grew up in Holly Farms chicken country...country girl meets city boy, always an adventure, LOL.

Oh my heck if I have to explain chicken sex to one more person I think I will crawl into a hole and die. It amazes me how much people do not know. They aren't fish. They are birds. You would think the education system in the most powerful nation on the planet would do a little bit better job.

I had my chickies for just a few weeks when I got some from a breeder instead of the feed store. Just as my husband was asking about that very subject the roo pounced on this hen right up against the fence next to us so we were rather brutally educated.

I got cornered at a craft fair by a 5 year old wanting to know if there were little goosies in the eggs I was selling. I tried to explain that No, the eggs didn't have a little goosie in them because I refrigerate them as I gather them. He pointed out that they were not in the fridge NOW and therefore there COULD be little goosies in the eggs. (I was rotating them into a cooler throughout the day).

I tried to explain that the Mommy Goose has to hold the eggs close to her and keep them very warm for 30 days and only then will a little goosie come out.

"Why?" (the bane of trying to explain something to a kid who is just....not....buying....it.)

I stuttered through this with a very interested audience of vendors and customers, including the lad's mother who was giggling helplessly at my plight.

Finally she took pity on me and told the child his father would explain it to him later.

I've shown customers eggs from finches and anoles and they're like are there boys and girls there? Nope they lay even without boys...
I had to explain to a 40 year old woman that a chicken laying eggs is like a human with her cycles except they do it almost every day...With MY PMS I would HATE to be a chicken... LOL

My hubby didn't know either. He told me he had to kick that rooster because it was attacking a hen.
lau.gif
. After I recovered, I explained to him that wasn't necessary...

You'd be surprised how little people know about chickens. What was once common knowledge is now a "mystery."

The most common thing I hear is that hens wont lay eggs unless a rooster is present.

Fertiliizing eggs through the shell is a new one on me.

Hey
roll.png
since we're on the topic... I'm one of those people that doesn't know much about chickens yet. When a rooster mates with a hen...does that fertilize just one egg? Or is that one time good for fertilizing a couple more eggs. I'm just wondering because my past education on breeding pets came from hamsters and they only needed to do it once for 12+ babies.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom