Poor little chick has constant head shakes- Can anyone help me?

Hi Karri, Clementine doesn't look like Stevie Wonder so much as it looks like when someone shakes their head to get their bangs out of their eyes. It's a fast little shake that she does over and over. I've never heard of the Stevie Wonder thing before. I hope someone will see your post and give you some idea what it is and what to do for Yettie. (cute name
smile.png
)

My little Frosty had seemed to improve one day, but last night was worse. Almost twisting himself around in turning his head. Is eating, but not a whole lot. I was wondering if a tiny bit of baby aspirin would help. I do not have any prednisone as an antiinflamatory. Asprin has antiinflamatory properties. Has anyone ever given aspirin to a chick? I know it harms cats, but not dogs. I am giving him/her (is still too young to really know) the vitamin supplements and high protein treats (eats those more). Can One give aspirin to a chicken?

Last edited:
aspirin will not help and do not under any circumstances give any NSAID except perhaps metacam (though prednisone is the preferred med as treatment often takes an extended period and metacam must not be used if there is ANY suspicion of kidney involvement, dehydration or for long term use)... you can immediately give vit E/selenium combination geltabs (the amount of vit E is not so important as the amount of selenium...it must NOT exceed 50 MICROgrams) and a liquid B supplement...this is will help ensure against lasting neurological damage and is sometimes enough to treat it. Here is my information on crookneck/limberneck (for silkies with suspected head injury, please refer to the link posted an Alan Stanfords treatment for this)
http://dlhunicorn.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=emergencies&action=display&num=1160928615

Last edited:
Thanks dlhunicorn! I got the vit E with the 50 mcg of selenium and the vitB only liquid....and lots of prayer. There was a marked improvement in Frosty within hours of getting the new vitamins. Yesterday, he held his head up with only a slight head tilt. Today, he/she is holding his little head up straight and hardly ever has a tic. Hopefully I'll put him back in with his litter mates soon. Right now I have placed one of the chicks out with him for company. Just wanted to thank ya'll and give you a quick up-date.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom