Poor Mary has flight feather issues

I have had a very brief reply from my lady farmer "I'm up and down hills at mo - this is normal molting"

Got to ask you however Lydia - seeing as you brought up the subject of red mite. Isnt this a chicken only thing? Parts of the pros and cond for ducks vs chickens I was "told"is that red mite do not affect ducks?

It seems strange that no one else contributed to this topic. Other than you Lydia.

I don't know why no one posted here don't take it personal please.

Most of the time water fowl aren't prone to external parasites because they have access to bathing water, I really didn't think this was the problem with yours because I saw they had bathing water and weren't kept in bad conditions. But we needed to cover all bases, I actually saw the Red Mite thing from Poultry Keepers in the UK.

When they are in molt they do need some extra protein to help with growing those feathers back.

Glad you can have a sigh of relief now.

Your ducks are very cute and fluffy. But Mary's flight feathers don't look normal. Like they are dead and turning into sticks. I've only seen feather's like that on a duck with a deformed wing. Alice's feathers have just started to grow I think they look good. Sid is a guy and they go into mold earlier. So he already has his new flight feathers. Did Sid's new growing feathers look like Mary's at any point?

Ipads are good for browsing internet. Taking pet pictures- not so much.

Oh, about the weight loss. You could lie down and compare Mary and Alice between their legs. I had this duck show up, severely underweight, and I could see the bone stick out from his chest. It was like a v-shape with his legs on the sides.

Back
Top Bottom