Poor Nutmeg is sick.....need help w/ diagnosis

meriruka

Songster
12 Years
Oct 18, 2007
Yesterday I noticed my 2 yr old Red Star was hunched and fluffed up. I brought her inside and have been giving her layer feed and water with Avia charge. Her poo is green and 'cheesy' looking. Her crop feels fine and her abdomen is firm but gives when you press on it. She feels a little thin, but is eating and drinking. Her eyes are clear and she is not sneezing or coughing.
There are no vets that will see chickens in my area, so I have to do what I can for her here.

It seems the poo is the only real clue. Doesn't the green color mean she is not processing her food correctly?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks,
-Sam

It's fluorescent green, it's actually turning the bedding green. (I wasn't sure if the Aviacharge had something to do with it or not).

So no nutrition means a blockage of some sort? Can anything be done for it?

Edited to say: No other symptoms other than she's ruffled & hunched, but I think that just means "I'm not feeling good".

Last edited:
Is she laying? I'm presiding over the death of my fourth bird this year. Same symptoms as yours, but mine are laying internally, with egg material building up in their oviducts. I just happen to know what is killing them because we necropsied the first three girls. If you look at my Internal Layers thread in this section, you'll see what I mean.
BTW, mine are all almost 3 years old, that I'm losing. It started with the first girl when she was just over 2 yrs old. And I do have a Nutmeg myself, but I call her Meg.

Last edited:
Speckled, I'm ashamed to say I don't know if she's been laying lately. I've got 5 other Red Stars, and since it started getting colder I've been getting about 3/day, and the eggs all look alike so I can't tell if any of them are hers. She's been in the house about 24 hours now. No eggs yet, but now I can watch her and see.
I'm sorry you are losing hens to internal laying, it must be hard to watch and know it can't be fixed.

hugs.gif
to both of you and hopes that your girls get better...

Back
Top Bottom