Poor Planning...my advice to you new to chickens...

Ah yes, you do indeed have the chicken bug!

I am looking forward to Spring Chickens too, but winter before spring
jumpy.gif

Hugh

Bought 5 husband was ok nice cute
Bought 12 more husband is alright nice group lets go with this
bought 5 from a friend husband goes ah hun do you think we have enough?
bought 5 more here and there and hes going oooh noo not more
bought 10 from craigslist -OMG not more
got 7 from craigslist. He just shook his head and walked away.
bought 6 from the poultry nationals-blank stare
They are like peanuts one and you have to have more!!!!!
When I was forced to get rid of them he was as mad as I was!

Ah yes, you do indeed have the chicken bug!

I am looking forward to Spring Chickens too, but winter before spring

AS SC_Hugh STATED

lau.gif

I like the rest started out 3 yrs ago (2006)with 15 meat birds and 24 turkeys just for meats /eats and 24 layers for eggs , well now I did process the turkeys and meats but still each year buy more , plus keep a few for pets , Today (2009) I have 50 plus asst. layer chickens , 6 turkeys , and 3 meat cross layers , a few dozen quail as pets , and a few x- rock crosses , plus a newly build duck aviary (48’ x 16’ ) for this spring and new arrivals of ducks for 2010 , plus working on my 10 pheasant runs 8 ’ x 12 ft each run and more quail cages for my breeding program , plus will be adding 20 more x-rocks chickens and 20 more turkeys for processing but will be keeping 6 turkey for pets .
So yes you have da fever like da rest of us , start out with a few , end up with more than you can dream of , LOL
thumbsup.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
GOTTA LOV THIZ HOBBY
wee.gif

lady and her girls
Bought 5 husband was ok nice cute
Bought 12 more husband is alright nice group lets go with this
bought 5 from a friend husband goes ah hun do you think we have enough?
bought 5 more here and there and hes going oooh noo not more
bought 10 from craigslist -OMG not more
got 7 from craigslist. He just shook his head and walked away.
bought 6 from the poultry nationals-blank stare
They are like peanuts one and you have to have more!!!!!

Sounds like me only difference is ;

Bought meats and layers and turkeys WIFE was ok -nice -cute
Bought 12 more WIFE ,is alright nice group lets go with this
bought more from a friend WIFE goes ah hun do you think we have enough------i SAY NAN ?
bought SOME-more ,here and there and she going oooh noo not more, There other things we need ,LOL
I hatch some of mine own HATCHING EGGS -I GET OMG not more are you @$%# nuts or just going out of ur' mine , again LOL
SHE just shook HER head and walked away TALKING TO HER SELF CALLING ME ONE CRAZY SON OF A ?#!&%$#@ CHICKEN LOVER .
Got a love ur' better half I do for 28 yrs now LOL
They are like peanuts one and you have to have more!!!!![/

Alan​

Last edited:
The other way to look at it is it forces you to keep the flock small. We got six chicks this past summer and I built a 6'x7' coop with bumped out nesting boxes that I figure could accommodate 10 chicks (would just need to add another perch). I had the room for bigger but I know myself (I sometimes get carried away with things) and I figured this would force me to keep the flock to 10 max without additional major investment in time and money to build a new coop, modify the run, etc.

From what I have seen and learned so far, it seems that the six we have are easily manageable as a hobby/pets/"free" eggs, etc. I would think this would be the case for maybe up to 10. Any more than that it seems like it would be more of a time investment, taking it to serious hobby/side business level. At that point there would probably be eggs to sell (my friends and family can keep up with what we currently have), more clean up, more management of the grass in their run (and a hell of a lot more yard torn up for dust baths). Plus with the six I can tell them all apart (not so easy with four of them being Australorps), they all have names, and I know all of thier personalities. I would think when you get up to around 20 it's a little different.

I don't know anyone with a large number of chicks but does this seem about right?

RickMiller, that is an amen. I am the guy who started with 24 after planning on 16, tops. So I am the only guy on BYC that admits he has too many and wants to downsize. Problem is, now my wife so loves them that she does not want to give up even one.

We are not set up to sell as we have a fence and gate at our road that is locked 24-7. We are in a really nice rural to suburban area, but with the economy imploding we are seeing even daytime robberies of movie theaters and drug stores, even within 6 or 7 miles of us. That is what prompted our 'bunker in' move with the gate. That and an unexplained, spooky, unannounced visit by a van at dusk. After that I said 'That is enough! We are getting a gate for down at the road!" Better safe than sorry.

I built an incubator for my grand daughter last month and we started 25 eggs, ended up with 21 chicks, I did WAIT over 4 days to order the next 18 eggs for incubation.

I know a get rich opportunity RECOVERY Facility for Chicken dependent people

Back
Top Bottom