Poor Snowbell!!

Quote:
x2

Also, are you sure she wasn't shot at? I know it's nasty to say, but sometimes neighbors can be real jerks to animals.

No chance. I live on a farmstead, and our neighbors are not very close. I would have known if anyone were around. The house is closed up quite well, so I know there wasn't any other animal in there. It makes me mad, but I know I had a Welsummer hen this same thing happened to last year and I had one really bad Ameraucana roo who was beating up on everyone. He was taken care of the next morning. Part of the problem may just be that these boys are young and just learning the ropes on breeding and are kind of stupid about their approach. One is a definite dominant and the other is bit more laid back.

I don't think I will ever know the answer to what happened here.

Well, that's good about the neighbor thing, but I agree that it's kind of frustrating not knowing what happened. Is there any way you could set up a temporary pen for one of the cockerels until another solution comes along? Young or not, they could still hurt the hens while they're both in there.

Back
Top Bottom