Poor Vlad

Enigmius

Crowing
5 Years
Jan 5, 2018
Mansfield, Tx
Well yesterday was a tough day.

My dog Pookie is usually very good with the ducks. However last evening whilst Pooky was peacefully eating a duck egg in the yard, Vlad decided it would be amusing to come up behind her and goose her.

Pooky got spooked and nipped at Vlad before realizing what she had done. Vlad made a terrible sound when this happened which got my attention. Poor Vlad had a puncture in his beak and was bleeding terribly; I was terrified.

I managed to catch him and brought him inside. There, I held him close, dabbing his bill with a clean shirt(all I had at the time)until he calmed and the bleeding appeared to slow down. Unfortunately my vetericyn spray had expired, but I chose to spray his wound down with it anyhow. I figured that the expiry date probably means that the spray might be starting to loose efficacy. But something is better than nothing. Right?

He did still seemed interested in peas floating in a pan of water though, which I figured was a good sign. And he ate them all up.

Now he is outside in a separated see-me-but-don’t-touch-me area of the shaded coop with his own tub of water and feed. I figured that being outside near his flock would be psychologically better for him, thus less stressful and more healing, than complete isolation. How long does a bill take to heal anyhow?

I just feel awful!

Aww. That sounds upsetting for everyone.

My duck had a wound on her bill a couple years ago. It was slightly indented and discolored in a little spot. The vet thought she banged or scraped it hard on something. The treatment recommended for my duck was just to keep it clean (really keep a duck bill clean?)! But it sounds like Vlad's injury is much worse.

Unfortunately it took a LONG time to heal completely. Like 3 or 4 months. I could tell it was getting better after 2 weeks, but the healing was very slow. At her checkups they said that was normal and they were satisfied with her healing.

Attachments

• 1A912171-C5FF-4CEA-BE05-31C7F4BE9EA2.jpeg
    1A912171-C5FF-4CEA-BE05-31C7F4BE9EA2.jpeg
    547.9 KB · Views: 23
  • A919E2D1-33CB-48E4-9354-1252A7C3CE4A.jpeg
    A919E2D1-33CB-48E4-9354-1252A7C3CE4A.jpeg
    380.6 KB · Views: 21
It doesn't look too bad. Is it irony that the Impaler got Impaled? I think Vlad will be fine, bills just heal slow. Keep doing what you're doing.

Thanks! And yes it looks better today than it did yesterday covered in blood.
I’m glad that you think it isn’t too bad. That makes me feel better.
His Daddy was named Blackula(after that vampire b-movie) so I just wanted to carry on the vampire theme.
The girls are: Elvira, Morticia, Lilly, Vampira, and Claudia.

Back
Top Bottom