Poor wood duck duckling

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by poultrykeeper08, May 12, 2008.

1. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    My step father was leaving his job at the Big E ( fair ground) and was driving down one of the roads to get out and he saw something small and black in the road in front of him . There was a truck infront of him that almost hit this black thing . So he quickly turned around becasue he thought it was a turtle that was flipped over and was trying to get back on the right side . When he stopped and opened his door he relized it was a baby duck . He brought it home . put it in arubbermade bin with some grass water and some napkins . He dismissed me and on my way home he called me and told me it had died . [​IMG]

When i got home i relized it was a baby wood duck . Do you think it died from the stress of it bieng in the street ,almost getting hit and then brought to my house ?

I went and looked to see if i could see a mother and other babies but i saw nothing .

It is extremely windy here . Do you think it could of got blown out of a nest ?

I Did see alot of crows around and There is an Osprey nest on one of the light polls . I was thinking maybe a crow had picked it up and maybe dropped it onto the pavemant .

What do you guys think .

He tried his best

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  2. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    there is no way he could of gotten blown from his nest as the wood ducks live in holes found in trees. I wonder if a predaor had gotten it when the mom took them out for s swim.

3. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    i know they live in holes in the tree i thoughty maybe the tree ould of shook and then he fell out but i dunnno . I think that a predator had gotten him and then dropped him .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by