Poor wood duck duckling

poultrykeeper08

Songster
11 Years
Feb 12, 2008
Agawam , Ma
My step father was leaving his job at the Big E ( fair ground) and was driving down one of the roads to get out and he saw something small and black in the road in front of him . There was a truck infront of him that almost hit this black thing . So he quickly turned around becasue he thought it was a turtle that was flipped over and was trying to get back on the right side . When he stopped and opened his door he relized it was a baby duck . He brought it home . put it in arubbermade bin with some grass water and some napkins . He dismissed me and on my way home he called me and told me it had died .
sad.png

When i got home i relized it was a baby wood duck . Do you think it died from the stress of it bieng in the street ,almost getting hit and then brought to my house ?

I went and looked to see if i could see a mother and other babies but i saw nothing .

It is extremely windy here . Do you think it could of got blown out of a nest ?

I Did see alot of crows around and There is an Osprey nest on one of the light polls . I was thinking maybe a crow had picked it up and maybe dropped it onto the pavemant .

What do you guys think .

He tried his best

Last edited:
there is no way he could of gotten blown from his nest as the wood ducks live in holes found in trees. I wonder if a predaor had gotten it when the mom took them out for s swim.

i know they live in holes in the tree i thoughty maybe the tree ould of shook and then he fell out but i dunnno . I think that a predator had gotten him and then dropped him .

Back
Top Bottom