Poorly chick keeps lying down

Ezzfletcher

Chirping
Apr 7, 2019
I got a chick a few days ago at 3 days old when I got it home realised it had a splayed leg I've put it's legs together and it's been doing well walking but it's now started laying down alot and then struggles to get up it's also looking like it's gasping when it's feeding and shaking its head.... Poor little mite is eating and drinking but I'm concerned there's alot more going on with this chick than I know anyone got any ideas

The best thing to do is to give it some Poultry NutriDrench vitamins with electrolytes, and help it eat and drink. Some chicks will suffer from shipping stress, and once they show signs of stress, it may be too late to save them. Are you keeping it warm with a heat lamp or heat plate?

I got 4 together I went and picked them up the other 3 are fine.... When I handle it it's happy to curl up on u ou and sleep and its getting on good with the others... I've noticed its chirping pretty constantly much noisier than the others and I've got a both a heat bulb I do have access to a heat mat aswell if that would be better?

The heat lamp is enough, just keep the temperature around 90 degrees F for the first week, and decrease it by 5 each week. Hopefully the chick will survive.

The heat lamp is enough, just keep the temperature around 90 degrees F for the first week, and decrease it by 5 each week. Hopefully the chick will survive.
Dosent seem stressed.... quite happy been handled and curled up asleep on my chest tonight could it be that the little dude is in pain? If so is there anything I can give it with it being so tiny?

Back
Top Bottom