Poorly chick keeps lying down

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ezzfletcher, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Ezzfletcher

Ezzfletcher In the Brooder

Apr 7, 2019
    I got a chick a few days ago at 3 days old when I got it home realised it had a splayed leg I've put it's legs together and it's been doing well walking but it's now started laying down alot and then struggles to get up it's also looking like it's gasping when it's feeding and shaking its head.... Poor little mite is eating and drinking but I'm concerned there's alot more going on with this chick than I know anyone got any ideas

ValerieJ likes this.
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The best thing to do is to give it some Poultry NutriDrench vitamins with electrolytes, and help it eat and drink. Some chicks will suffer from shipping stress, and once they show signs of stress, it may be too late to save them. Are you keeping it warm with a heat lamp or heat plate?

ValerieJ likes this.
  3. Ezzfletcher

Apr 7, 2019
    I got 4 together I went and picked them up the other 3 are fine.... When I handle it it's happy to curl up on u ou and sleep and its getting on good with the others... I've noticed its chirping pretty constantly much noisier than the others and I've got a both a heat bulb I do have access to a heat mat aswell if that would be better?

ValerieJ likes this.
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The heat lamp is enough, just keep the temperature around 90 degrees F for the first week, and decrease it by 5 each week. Hopefully the chick will survive.

ValerieJ likes this.
  5. Ezzfletcher

Apr 7, 2019
    Dosent seem stressed.... quite happy been handled and curled up asleep on my chest tonight could it be that the little dude is in pain? If so is there anything I can give it with it being so tiny?

6. chickenlittle21

chickenlittle21 Chirping

Aug 22, 2019
    Palm City, Florida
    when one of my chicks did that it died! ); D: take him to your local feed store.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: