2 day old chick can not walk and keeps putting feet to face. Help.

Waffle the Chicken

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2024
We got a 2 day old chick that cannot stand at all. The weight seems normal. It also seems to have hatched without it's tail bones? The chick keeps kicking its feet forward and touching its head and refuses to try to put pressure on their legs. It been doing this from day one, it hatched while we were asleep. Some time between 12-2am. Its two other siblings are doing fine, walking, eating, drinking. Not sure where or how it could have injured itself. It might have happened when developing in the egg? The humidity levels were fluctuating throughout incubation, and a few days before hatching our power when off. I covered the incubator in towels to keep them as warm as possible, and when we got some power going the incubator was at 27C. We've finally got it to eat some egg yolk (on day 2), we've also been forcing it to drink water with electrolytes and a vitamin B complex. The chick did two normal baby poops on day 1, but so far (as we know it) it has passed nothing else. On top of the electrolytes and a vitamin B complex treatment, I've done some massages to see if that helps. The chick has been on old clothes that we're using for their nest. We've been feeding them on newspaper.

I would like to be able to treat this without a vet, also please let mew know if I should put the chick out of their misery!
(sorry for the bad photos.)

Attachments

• IMG_5869.jpg
    IMG_5869.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_5867.jpg
    IMG_5867.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5864.jpg
    IMG_5864.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 6
Sometimes if you place them in a small wine glass or padded cup they can exercise their legs and get footing. Paper towel would be better than newspaper for traction. Sometimes these chicks just never make it.

It does appear the chick has a birth deformity. When you see such a deformity, there are very likely more of the same inside the body. My guess is the chick lacks adequate intestines to handle digestion and elimination of waste.

My method of judging when to euthanize is after there has been only negative progress. If this chick is meant to live, it will show definite signs of improvement each day. If it doesn't, and it gets worse each day despite all you're doing, then you should feel no shame in ending it for the tiny thing.

It does appear the chick has a birth deformity. When you see such a deformity, there are very likely more of the same inside the body. My guess is the chick lacks adequate intestines to handle digestion and elimination of waste.

My method of judging when to euthanize is after there has been only negative progress. If this chick is meant to live, it will show definite signs of improvement each day. If it doesn't, and it gets worse each day despite all you're doing, then you should feel no shame in ending it for the tiny thing.
Thank you, I'll keep up with the water, egg, physical therapy. If the worst comes then the must go without suffering too much.

We got a 2 day old chick that cannot stand at all. The weight seems normal. It also seems to have hatched without it's tail bones? The chick keeps kicking its feet forward and touching its head and refuses to try to put pressure on their legs. It been doing this from day one, it hatched while we were asleep. Some time between 12-2am. Its two other siblings are doing fine, walking, eating, drinking. Not sure where or how it could have injured itself. It might have happened when developing in the egg? The humidity levels were fluctuating throughout incubation, and a few days before hatching our power when off. I covered the incubator in towels to keep them as warm as possible, and when we got some power going the incubator was at 27C. We've finally got it to eat some egg yolk (on day 2), we've also been forcing it to drink water with electrolytes and a vitamin B complex. The chick did two normal baby poops on day 1, but so far (as we know it) it has passed nothing else. On top of the electrolytes and a vitamin B complex treatment, I've done some massages to see if that helps. The chick has been on old clothes that we're using for their nest. We've been feeding them on newspaper.

I would like to be able to treat this without a vet, also please let mew know if I should put the chick out of their misery!
(sorry for the bad photos.)
UPDATE: Thank you all. It's the next day and the chick is weakly standing and is trying to walk and has a good appetite. My only issue right now is that the chick isn't pooping. I've looked at it's vent and there's poop there but it looks white and hard. And the vent also seems to have a small tear. Do you guys know any way to get it to poop?

Give the chick coconut oil. By chilling the oil and making it solid, you can take tiny bits of the oil and slip the pieces into the tiny beak. Try to get at least a fourth teaspoon into the chick. If a poop isn't produced in an hour, repeat the oil. Lube the vent with the oil to soothe the crack and make it easier for the poop to be expelled.

If the chick appears to be straining to poop after being given the oil, lube the vent again and exert slight pressure around its vent to encourage the poop to be expelled.

Back
Top Bottom