Poorly chick. please help

Rorie

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 1, 2012
Out of 12 eggs, three pipped. One hatched and is doing perfectly well. I had to help the other two out their eggs. One of the two died an hour ago despite our efforts. The second has just been taken out the incubator and put in the brooder. He can stand, but falls. His legs are not splaid, but he struggles to stand and walk. The other chick in the borroder keeps pecking at him so we need to stand and shoo him away constantly.

1) how can we help the wee one get strong and stand?
2) how much chance is there he'll make it?
3) how can we stop the other one attacking him?

Thanks

Out of 12 eggs, three pipped. One hatched and is doing perfectly well. I had to help the other two out their eggs. One of the two died an hour ago despite our efforts. The second has just been taken out the incubator and put in the brooder. He can stand, but falls. His legs are not splaid, but he struggles to stand and walk. The other chick in the borroder keeps pecking at him so we need to stand and shoo him away constantly.

1) how can we help the wee one get strong and stand?
2) how much chance is there he'll make it?
3) how can we stop the other one attacking him?

Thanks

with my last batch we had to help one out of her shell. She was really weak and I didn't think she would make it. Same thing you are saying..couldn't really stand up. But 24 hours later she was just like all the other chicks. I kept her in the bator for a long time because I was worried about the other chicks pecking her. can you put yours back in the bator? Or but a wall up to keep the other from pecking at him? Clearly you need to keep them apart until the weak one gets stronger...which I think will happen

Thanks for the reply. THough i do not have the same hope you have.

He is now in the brooder with the other chick, but i have put a good divider in.

I have strapped his legs. He is still flopping about, but sometimes sits up. I have tried showing him the water, but he isn't interested. He flops over to the heat lamp and then lies down. I hope he doesn't over heat or have issues due to lack of water!

New chicks don't need water for the first 1-2 days. What I do with newborns is tuck them into a t-shirt and put them under the light, not directly under, feel with your hand for a comfortable spot that's not too warm. this way I keep them save from curious older chicks and they feel safe with the shirt covering them.
I've lost count how many chicks I helped hatch, many of them are fine now, all grown up. They just needed a little help. Have faith!

Thats reassuring to hear that they don't need water for the first couple days anyway.

I had hope with the first one, but he just never improved. This one isn't improving yet.... really hope he makes it, just expecting the worst :(

Did you know that you have to dip their beaks into the water to show them how to drink? If you don't they will die because they won't know how to drink. Their mother shows them how and since you're their "mother" you have to show them how. I have hatched many chicks in my incubator and have done this. I hatch them and sell them to make money to pay for their feed. Good luck!

Yeh i did this with them as soon as i move them to the brooder. The first one took to it easy enough The one having trouble didn't seem to take a drink.

Give him time and have faith. They are alarmingly weak sometimes after you helped them only to recover completely in a few hours. Look at the cutie pie in my avatar. I helped him hatch (it was my first attempt) and he was weak and unhappy for awhile. I was really worried about him. I tucked him into my shirt (didn't have a heat lamp) and he just keeled over and fell asleep. Grew into the most beautiful roo.
smile.png

I hope you baby will do the same. Though you'll probably prefer a hen
lol.png

Quick update - (s)he is still alive! Now standing....just! Waddling a couple steps before falling. Progress! (s)he still looks wet though compared to the other which is all fluffy! I gather this is just because (s)he hasn't had as much luck in the development process?

I have his/her legs strapped up which appears to have helped. But how long should i keep them this way?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom