Poorly hens today :(

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by natschicks, Jan 20, 2017.

1. natschicks

natschicks Just Hatched

Oct 6, 2016
    Daventry uk
    I have a small flock of just 4 hens in my garden (UK). One I've raised from a day old and is now just 16 weeks, the other three I bought before Xmas from a chicken store.

Two of them starter laying really quickly which was great, the other one started sneezing after just a few weeks. No other symptoms and never looked ill.

I was advised by the store to try tonic which I did to no avail and even tried garlic, oregano etc. They stopped laying this week and this morning I noticed that my youngest hen was not right at all. Her eyes are swollen and weepy and she was gasping for air. Poor girl.

I rang my usual animal vet who refused to see my hens due to the risk of Avian Flu in the UK at the moment so I had to call the local farm vets. They came out straight away and confirmed it's NOT flu and my girls have a respiratory illness.

Poor things. I've got antibiotics for them for 4 days and hope they start to get better. My favourite (the light sussex who I've had since a day old) just curled up in my arms, bless her. The vet was surprised how tame they are :) so rather a stressful morning at mine today. My work colleagues think I'm mad having a £100 vet bill for 4 £10 chickens!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Sorry your hens aren't doing well.The most common respiratory diseases are MG and Infectious Bronchitis.What antibiotic did you get?Tylan 50 treats respiratory (Symptoms) not the disease.Your hens will most likely be carriers for life and in times of stress the respiratory disease will come back.Which one has the swollen eye the hens that are in the pictures are looking great.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  3. natschicks

natschicks Just Hatched

Oct 6, 2016
    Daventry uk
    Yes thays what I thought, I've been reading so much recently and my hunch was right

No hens in or out and I'll be on the lookout for nee symptoms once they are well again :(

My light sussex has swollen eyes but this was a photo from a couple of days ago. Vet says they're actually very healthy looking so hopefully we can treat their symptoms ok

4. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    As long as they are stress free they will be fine.A course if you planed on getting new chickens that wouldn't work.You might want to get VetRX it doesn't treat respiratory diseases but its know to help promote a healthy respiratory function.

5. natschicks

natschicks Just Hatched

Oct 6, 2016
    Daventry uk
    Thanks I will definitely have a look into that now

6. ZuckermansFamousPig

ZuckermansFamousPig Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2007
    SW Idaho
    This sounds quite similar to what one of my hens (red star) was doing about a month ago after a sudden drop in temperature with the weather. It passed quickly after keeping her inside for about 48 hours inside the house. I was worried it might be contagious but the other two showed no signs of illness. After some mealworms and listening to the radio in the laundry room, and being kept warm and dry, dry, dry; all signs of distress gone and didn't return.

7. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I hope your girls get to feeling better quickly. You're lucky to have a farm vet that will see chickens, a lot of people don't (I never did either).

Nice photos btw.

8. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I"m sorry your girls are sick. [​IMG] I hope that they are on the mend now with the antibiotics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by