Poorly Khaki Campbell Duck

threekhakis

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 6, 2011
We have three khaki campbell ducks all about 1 1/2 years. They had been laying well up to July (about two months ago) when we went away for a fortnight. Our neighbours look after them when we are away and they are usually fine with this but when we got back 2 of the three had what seemed to be mite. We cleaned out their house and dusted all the birds and the house with mite treatment. Since then two of the three seem ok but one has been loosing her feathers still and is not looking well - she has lost several feathers around her neck and on her wings (on her wings it looks as though she has bones showing or something). We take the pooh out of their house daily, fresh water daily and they had a daily feed of corn mix and pellets (we have always fed them on this though we did try just giving them pellets for a little while). Their house gets cleaned out weekly and we give them fruit and vegetable scraps as and when (usually about 1-2 week).
The ducks started laying back in April and were laying two to three eggs daily, but when we were away they had some odd laying habits - laying one soft egg and only laying 1 egg every few days. Recently, they weren't laying at all for about a week and started laying 1-2 eggs again from Thursday (4 days ago).

Any advise greatly accepted.

I don't know if it is possible or how I would attach photos here so you can see them on the other forum I have posted this message on - http://ponds.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Call&action=display&thread=2362

Thank
you.

Quote:

Thats what i was thinking is they are molting, and like farmGirl said they look terrible and don't feel so good either. They will stop laying also. Make sure to give them the best feed you can afford and also oyster shell. All the best.

Thank you. That's a relief!! I didn't realise ducks moulted but then again every other animal (i.e. dogs, cats, etc) does including us humans so I suppose I was being a little dumb really!! x x

Back
Top Bottom