Poorly runner, strange quack and panting! Help please!

Natalierussell6

In the Brooder
May 12, 2019
Hi! We noticed our year old runner made a strange noise yesterday when she quacked- we kept a close eye on her yesterday and noticed she was resting a great deal and every now and again began panting. This behaviour seemed to stop after a long drink and she seemed ‘normal’ again although no quacking. We let them out this morning and she doesn’t seem herself still and rather than eating like usual she just went to lay on the lawn and the strange quack was back, we have only been getting a single egg for the past few weeks so not sure which girl is laying or whether they both are and just not an egg each day! The other two (one male and one female) seem absolutely fine. HELP! ANY ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED!! I’ve scanned the internet for the last two days and can’t seem to find any possible reasons!

Thank you, she is very heavy and I think I can feel a blockage (hard part of her tummy). Everything looks ok ‘down there’ no swelling etc. Her poop is white and watery today. I have tried to get her to drink water with coconut oil in (read that this can help!) but she’s only had a few sips. I placed her in a warm bath this morning and it was as though she was ‘crackling’ when breathing (bit like a human would with a chest infection). I have tried to contact my vet but they don’t deal with ducks . I have just gone to the shops to buy Epsom Salts as read on another threat that this can help with constipation etc so worth a shot until I can find a vet to help me! I will have a look at the picture now- thank you!

I have just had her soaking in a bath and can see she has a tiny amount of yellow around her eye lids.... any advice on natural ‘antibiotics’ I can start her on today?

I'd go to Tractor Supply ASAP if there is one near you and get some calcium gluconate. If she's egg bound this should help her pass it. I hear oregano is a natural antibiotic.
calgul.jpg

She has a constant supply of oyster shell with her food and is on pretty good organic food so I’m betting on a respiratory infection- my poor girl! She was playing in the warm bath for the past hour and I’ve just let her back out with my other two and seems happy at the moment. Will pop out now and try the oregano as well!!

She has a constant supply of oyster shell with her food and is on pretty good organic food so I’m betting on a respiratory infection- my poor girl! She was playing in the warm bath for the past hour and I’ve just let her back out with my other two and seems happy at the moment. Will pop out now and try the oregano as well!!
Sometimes oyster shell isn't enough. My girls always have a bowl of it available to them and they go through it fast. Yet, one of my girls has had a problem with being egg bound more than a few times. The calcium gluconate helps her pass the egg and then she's fine. Some ducks are just prone to this from what I understand and I'm always watching because this is a serious issue that can kill them. You could also put food coloring in her vent so you can tell who's laying the egg.

Back
Top Bottom