1. captionerlady

captionerlady New Egg

May 22, 2011
    I am in the middle of building a coop and have some questions. I am considering whether it is better to put the pop door in the side or in the floor. I see that people have doors on theirs, but many designs that I have seen don't have any doors. If the coop is in a secured run, do you still need the door? If I have it in the floor and put a lip, will I still lose a lot of bedding? Thanks in advance for an opinions.

2. downhome

downhome Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2009
    genesse county, MI
    put it in the side and make where it opens up or to the side or make a slider that pulls up. that way it will not get clogged with poop and mud.

3. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    I recommend in the side. Also, I don't care how secure you think your run is, you will still need that door. I thought my run was secure (it's right off the coop) until last summer when I left the doors open at night for ventilation, and a possum got in and killed two of my four chicks [​IMG] [​IMG]. My run is fenced in all the way around. JMHO

4. AtholCoop

AtholCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2008
    North Idaho
    Side mounted door for sure. cut the opening about 6-8" above the floor and you won't have a problem with them dragging your litter out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by