pop door, they don't like it

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Tamidon, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Tamidon

Tamidon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Massachusetts
    So, i got the chicks into the coop,and let them hang out for a week while i built the run. There is both a human door and a pop door to get into the run. i was worried that the human door would let too much cold air in during the winter,so put in the pop. They won't use it. it's only been a few days,maybe i should just wait,but is there a way to encourage them? If i leave the human door open they go popping in and out all day.

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Mine did that too at first...then I closed the door and they started using the pop door. They will if they have no other choice. They jus t have to get used to it is all.

3. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    is it big enough for more than one to go in and out at a time??? I read somewhere that it's gotta be big enough for at least 2 at a time. Other than that, you might try some bribery. Put some watermelon or something outside on the ground where they can see it, I'm sure they'll get the idea. Yeah, like mine got the idea with the nice roomy nest box I built them....(they like the corner of the coop instead)

4. Hen Daddy

Hen Daddy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Our only laying hen so far, a GLW, doesnt use the nest box I built either. She likes the corner of the coop too....

5. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    they will most likely get used to it in time. lots of my birds have had the same type of issues but they get used to it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by