Popcorn the lucky duckling

Hi there! I’ve come to this forum a lot over the last few years for answers to my duck questions but finally joined!
So to keep it as short as I can... I got 3 pekin ducklings at the beginning of the month and did my best to reinforce the pen that was already on the property where I rent. Unfortunately soon after we moved them outside something broke into the pen and then into their house and attacked them. Two of them were killed but the one was still alive when I found them the next morning. We brought him to the vet and weren’t expecting him to survive but the vet was amazing and after a few days involving a surgery, fluids, and meds, Popcorn is now home!
So, now I have one duck that will have to live inside. I am not able to get another duck to live inside (my landlord already wants to kill me as I have 3 small dogs) so I’m hoping this little one will be happy enough on his own. I plan on taking “him” (not sure of gender yet) to work with me (I work with horses, so lots of land) and bringing him on adventures so he doesn’t feel stuck inside.
Right now, I’m working on gaining his trust back.. as expected he’s pretty skittish, but is slowly letting me pet him without trying to jump out of his pen anymore and he happily takes snacks from my hand (including his meds which I stuff in peas). Prior to this they were following me all over and got super excited when they saw me, so I’m hoping I can get him back to that soon.
I’m just wondering if anyone has any advice to make this an easy transition for all of us. I’ve ordered a diaper harness, but for now he’s been stuck in a large bin (though he’s still recovering anyways, still has stitches). What’s the best shavings/bedding to make the least amount of mess? I don’t mind the cleaning, but I feel bad when he makes a wet mess and I’m not home to clean it right away.
Also want to make him as happy as possible while being a solo duck if anyone has any tips.

Welcome to BackYardChickens! So glad to have you here in our wonderful community of friendly, helpful, knowledgeable people! That's a very lucky duck! I sincerely hope he recovers completely!

Hello and welcome to BYC! :welcome
We're so glad to have you here with us! :ya
Thank you for joining our wonderful community of fellow poultry enthusiasts! :)
:wee
I'm so sorry to hear about your losses. :hugs I pray your other duck Popcorn gets better soon! :)
I use either peat moss or pine shavings for my duck's bedding and I haven't found anything that works better - peat moss especially, it's the best, it's really, really absorbent.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :welcome
We're so glad to have you here with us! :ya
Thank you for joining our wonderful community of fellow poultry enthusiasts! :)
:wee
I'm so sorry to hear about your losses. :hugs I pray your other duck Popcorn gets better soon! :)
I use either peat moss or pine shavings for my duck's bedding and I haven't found anything that works better - peat moss especially, it's the best, it's really, really absorbent.
Thank you! I’ll have to try the peat moss.. right now I have newspaper under shavings and a puppy pad. Eventually he’ll just be in there at night and whenever left home unsupervised so the mess won’t be as bad

Welcome to BYC :frow Personally I feel your duck would be happier with another duck for company... Whatever is possible for you though, but they are social creatures and like having company of the same kind.
I appreciate that and I do know that’s the case but I can’t get another one unless they live outside, which I can’t risk. He seems very happy right now, he’s taken to one of my dogs and keeps following her around and I got him a stuffed animal that he’s enjoying cuddling with. He’s been playful and running around and has a great appetite so don’t believe he’s depressed at all

I appreciate that and I do know that’s the case but I can’t get another one unless they live outside, which I can’t risk. He seems very happy right now, he’s taken to one of my dogs and keeps following her around and I got him a stuffed animal that he’s enjoying cuddling with. He’s been playful and running around and has a great appetite so don’t believe he’s depressed at all
That's very good! :) But keep an eye on him nonetheless and see if possible, if you can add a duckie friend at some point in his future. I'm sure he would greatly appreciate that!

Back
Top Bottom