POPCORN????

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by peeps7, Sep 8, 2007.

1. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    I was wondering if chickens could have popcorn, or is it considered a treat?

2. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    i think it would be a treat i dont know but my chickens love it esisally charemal [​IMG]

3. Zenbirder

Zenbirder Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    New Mexico
    i would skip the butter and salt...

4. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    Thanks, yeah I agree no butter and no salt but I just figured since it was a corn product they could have it.

5. beebiz

beebiz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2007
    W. Tennessee
    I've always read and heard that popcorn is fine for chickens or ducks.... as long as it is in moderation. You don't want to give them too much, just like cracked corn. If you have a hot air popcorn popper, it will make the healthiest popcorn for them.

6. GoodEgg

GoodEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    I like to give popcorn for a treat. It's the only thing I've found that I can break into enough pieces fast enough to prevent mayhem!

trish

7. leghorns_rule

leghorns_rule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2007
    syr New york
    They like corn don't they???? it's pretty mutch the same thing exept for bigger size and different texture

8. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    I was feeding Freebie's chickens some cut up watermelon from her garden and all I could find was one of those re-usable popcorn buckets from the movie theatre to put the watermelon in. The birds liked the melon but when I emptied the bucket of a few kernels left over havoc broke out! They could of care less for the melon, but were running and trying to hog that popcorn. I promised them the next time I came out I would pop them some popcorn.

9. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Sounds like I'm not the only one with spoiled chickens. [​IMG]

Everytime I open the back door, the chickens come a running to see what I have for them. I've only had them 2 weeks now. I just give them a hand full of grass and weeds or a little yogurt because they were on antibiotics for a little while. You would think I'm always giving them junk they way they act [​IMG]

10. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Treat. Corn itself has little balanced nutrition and will dilute the value of a good ration.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by