Porcelain Project

This past years Porcelain project chicks have been all over the place color wise but type is making huge improvements. This grow out chick is an example. The color is splashy but I love the type. I may need to put these chicks in their own project.

They are all so pretty! Love seeing your pictures and updates! My 2 porcelain boys were producing some nice porcelain colored chicks with my porcelain hens, but in this last batch the chicks are mostly buff colored. Odd since the parents are the same. I think I will use my mostly lavender boy (porcelain x lavender) hatched this year over those girls to get a more even color. Can't wait for spring to hatch more babies!

They are all so pretty! Love seeing your pictures and updates! My 2 porcelain boys were producing some nice porcelain colored chicks with my porcelain hens, but in this last batch the chicks are mostly buff colored. Odd since the parents are the same. I think I will use my mostly lavender boy (porcelain x lavender) hatched this year over those girls to get a more even color. Can't wait for spring to hatch more babies!
Thank you chickee. I'm happy to know someone is following along on this project.
big_smile.png

I know how you feel about juggling the buff and lavender. I am still working it. Hope I live long enough to see it.
old.gif

This particular chick is looking more like her mom every day but better. I'm thinking female at this point. Could still be fooled and that would be ok.

She is twelve weeks now and changing again. Pic's in two different lights.

~
Third generation and still too dark but type is better. Three months is too young to know much but I still like this chick.

Last edited:

This is Jewel and mother to many of the third generation Blue Cream chicks. Also Cocoa.

~

I have started only hatching eggs from hens. No more pullet eggs. Jewel and Cocoa were hatched July 29 2014. Their chicks have been my favorites so far. The problem is the mess of genetics these two are carrying. In addition to the lav gene, they also carry blue.
idunno.gif
Until I can start using a clean line of Self Blue and out cross with another clean line of Blue Cream, my line is doomed to carry blue. Next year my new blue free pens will be worked in. I remember reading George Mihalik used Blue and partridge in his original crosses so I don't feel too terribly guilty. Just wish it wouldn't take so long to get to where I want this project to be right now.

I named the new chick Kahlua.

I am soooooo jealous right now!!! He is gorgeous!!! Those new babies are beauties too, Mumsy!!! I had to check in on my favorite thread. I am getting ready to go to the Spring shows in a couple of weeks so I have been spending the last few days trying to decide who to take again. I think it is the hardest part of showing for me. Here are some shots of the little porcelain girl I showed this past fall. She's on the short list and is 10 months old so still a pullet.

Back
Top Bottom