Porcelain Project

:frow Hi Mumsy! Where have you been?

Ashtree, do you know the background breeding of your little boy?

I am having so much trouble with the mobile version tonight! I had a big response with pictures and poof it's gone! I'll try to post pictures from my computer tonight.

I know that the chick is not pure porcelain. Mom was pure but dad was a blue. So that makes him a split right? And the breeder is here on BYC and is very well known around OK for her show quality birds. She's been raising them a long time but I'm not sure what stock she started with. I will ask tho.

So far I have the 1 porcelain pullet and 1 lavender pullet. As well as some blues, a partridge, and splash. I also some sizzles and a frizzled silkie. I love them all so much. It's so confusing trying to figure out which hens to separate with which rooster. I'm learning more everyday. And glad I have time still to figure it out. A local BYCer just offered me an adult porcelain roo, I'll post his picture after I get her permission. But I think he has excellent type. Not sure on coloring tho, I'd love some feedback. I'll probably get him anyway!

And I'm super confused about what makes a bird partridge vs porcelain. I'm having a hard time telling them apart! Also I may be getting some grey chicks next week, is there anyway I can work them into the projects? I absolutely love grey partridge and can't seem to find any around here, but I have no clue how to work towards them.

I sure didn't mean to veer off the subject of porcelains. I just love the partridge chicks I saw on this thread and Im wondering what colors created them and how that relates to porcelain? I feel like I'm really confusing now. My poor husband has to listen to this rambling all day! :lau

Ok, here's my catdance pullet. I think she's lovely but maybe her backs a little long? i really want to order eggs someday soon. How were your hatch rates with the eggs? It's such an investment!

And this picture I did not take:

She doesn't look too long in the back to me. I think she is beautiful! She reminds me of the CatDance porcelain girl I had. Shipped eggs are an investment for sure, with usually low hatch rates. Sometimes it's the only way to get the bloodlines you want. I only had 8 hatch out of 24 the first time and 1 hatch out of 24 the second batch. Coming from CatDance silkies in Washington state. I've bought others with 3 out of a dozen coming from Georgia. So, not so hot for me. My CatDance porcelain girl below.

She doesn't look too long in the back to me. I think she is beautiful! She reminds me of the CatDance porcelain girl I had. Shipped eggs are an investment for sure, with usually low hatch rates. Sometimes it's the only way to get the bloodlines you want. I only had 8 hatch out of 24 the first time and 1 hatch out of 24 the second batch. Coming from CatDance silkies in Washington state. I've bought others with 3 out of a dozen coming from Georgia. So, not so hot for me. My CatDance porcelain girl below.

I love her coloring. I'm hoping to get one with a darker head one day. And I understand about the shipped eggs! We're in the middle of a move so I can't really justify it now but I sure would like to! One day! My baby roo looks to have a dark head so hopefully I'll get some good babies from him :fl

Ok, I apologize if it seems like I'm highjacking this thread, I just wanted to share pictures of the roo Im thinking about getting. I think he's absolutely beautiful. I love his type, tho his crest could be bigger. But all my girls so far have great crests. Anyway, what do you folks think? Hows the coloring? And hows his comb? Im so new to this and to me he looks about perfect! But I would love some feedback. Here he is:

I just love the way he saunters!

Oh and he is from the same breeder as the little porcelain chick I have, not sure they're directly related tho. I think her birds are really incredible so glad to be raising some!

Back again with new pictures of four of the six chicks. I've been busy with taking care of a flock of nearly 100 that is 60 chicks under the age of 12 weeks. I'm tending to hatching going on right now in the incubator. Plus...Family came for the weekend visiting from Montana. Blessed time with the Grandbabies.
love.gif

ashtree, I love that pullet! She's beautiful. I would be thrilled to have one like her. I brought home 24 Catdance eggs from the farm and hatched 12. Of those 12, only 3 survived to adulthood. A partridge hen, lavender hen, and a paint cock. I didn't breed them until now because of confusion also.

I'm learning as I go and especially by just hatching as many as possible. Unfortunately, I don't have a Porcelain male any longer. Porcelain and partridge chicks at day old do not look alike. The chick I saved called Tick Tick I was convinced was going to look like the mama who is what I think blue partridge. I've posted her picture a couple times. Tick Tick at day old

Tick Tick today.

There is no penciling in his feathers. Fur n Feathers and I think his under color is blue. I'm pretty sure this is a male.

His wings are blue too.

Another chick I really like looks a lot like the buff porcelain chicks you both have. I think it's a male too.

I had a vaulted chick that looked like this one that was female. She just up and died.
hu.gif

If this chick turns out female, I will be very very happy. Very soft coloring at this young age but it acts male.

Also has no penciling on the wings or any where else.

The under color seems lavender to me.

The next chick has four toes on one foot. He is a real knock out in looks and attitude. I'm keeping him until I've tried breeding the best of the rest.

I can't describe his under color. Not white. Not cream. Not blue. Must be diluted? Is this lavender?

The deep buff in his crest makes him look like a cockatoo. Hah!

This last chick from this mornings photo shoot is another nice one. He is colored much like the four toed chick.

This one will probably go into the breeding pen first. I will breed him to my Catdance lavender hen, his mother, and his sister.

He seems to have it all for a porcelain. I like this chick a lot.

I have two more chicks from this cross to take pictures of but chores are screaming to be done.

I love love love seeing pictures of your birds ashtree and Fur n Feathers. It inspires me. Thank you for posting them. Truly.

The camera battery died but I managed to get up to date pictures of the only surviving chick that I think is female from the partridge x porcelain hatch.

She is getting prettier every day. Much darker than her mother. It seems she will have a black/blue crest at this time. You can see definite penciling in her feathers.

At day old she looked like this.

The buff colored chick is the strongly buff male I posted earlier this morning. The partridge colored chick I think is female is the chipmunk marked chick.

This is the partridge colored chick today.

You can clearly see the penciling in her feathers.

She will go into my Blue Partridge project.

The camera battery died but I managed to get up to date pictures of the only surviving chick that I think is female from the partridge x porcelain hatch. She is getting prettier every day. Much darker than her mother. It seems she will have a black/blue crest at this time. You can see definite penciling in her feathers. At day old she looked like this. The buff colored chick is the strongly buff male I posted earlier this morning. The partridge colored chick I think is female is the chipmunk marked chick. This is the partridge colored chick today. You can clearly see the penciling in her feathers. She will go into my Blue Partridge project.
Wow she is so beautiful! I'd love to see the parent birds, specifically the partridge you used. I have 1 partridge but she is very dark. Almost a black but some blue on her down. I am going to try to get more partridge this weekend. I'd love to see what shade your mama bird is! Also does penciling mean it's a partridge not a porcelain or does it apply to gender sexing? Just wonder the significance in mentioning it.

Back
Top Bottom