Porcelain Project

So this is why Porcelain (Self Blue Cream) is still a work in progress? Offspring that look Porcelain but the genetics don't line up.

The answer should mean I must breed these offspring to my one Lavender hen or to each other to get F2 that carry two copies of Lavender. That will get the proper dilution of the visible dark buff coloring in the crest of my other wise pale colored chicks.

I would answer yes to all the above. I know there are several folks that have bred partridges with lavender and visually have porcelain.

A bell just went off in my head......I wonder, I am doing the same thing only aiming for the lavender partridge and they have to have two copies of the lavender gene as well. Does that mean we are really breeding the same thing only with different names? Sonoran can you explain this for us, please?

Is there a lavender partridge thread out there that I haven't found? I did a Google search for lavender partridge and porcelains are coming up in the pictures.

Your babies are all such dolls. If that little 4 toes is a girl I would breed her too. You can watch her babies for toe flaws. I'm sure there are probably posts about this, but I am not knowledgeable enough to advise.

[/QUOTE]
Yes. I think we are aiming for the same thing too. And we are using Catdance bred stock for our foundation pens that we both purchased and hatched the same year. We should get very similar results I would think. You are a year ahead of me in your F1 chicks.

I also have a hard time finding anything about Lavender x Partridge. I did find an old thread maybe four years back where Karen Larson says she did some color experimenting and did do a Partridge x Porcelain cross.

I find pictures in a google search of lavender birds and Porcelain birds but not a lot of the crosses. Just a lot of black/lavender split.

These pastels are so beautiful together. Pictures really don't do them justice. In the yard they are very eye catching. Even at this young age.

This is the sixth chick in my hatch. Got pictures of her this morning before the sun gets hot. I am pretty sure this is a female. The only one with out the strong buff/orange.

I posted her on the Partridge thread. I think maybe I'm a thread killer. It is so slow on the silkie threads except the main pet silkie thread.

I don't know if this is blue under color or what. It looks blue to me. I've never had a blue bred chicken so I don't really know first hand.

Yes, that is blue partridge and she looks like a little girl to me also. Which one of the porcelain babies did you feel was a girl?

No, you aren't a thread killer!!! That happens to me too. I think it is mostly because no one really knows the answer. That or someone that does answer isn't correct and someone has to correct what they have said. I have been a member here for almost four years but I pretty much lurk.

I am happy you started both these project threads. It is something that I can participate in and have a high interest in.

I think I am a little ahead of you with my paint project, but we are about the same in this one.

Oh, I wanted to tell you (I haven't posted this) I lost my porcelain hen. I went in to the barn and found her with her neck broken (at least I think). :hit So that may set me back even farther, because I think I only have two chicks with her lines.

Yes, that is blue partridge and she looks like a little girl to me also. Which one of the porcelain babies did you feel was a girl?

No, you aren't a thread killer!!! That happens to me too. I think it is mostly because no one really knows the answer. That or someone that does answer isn't correct and someone has to correct what they have said. I have been a member here for almost four years but I pretty much lurk.

I am happy you started both these project threads. It is something that I can participate in and have a high interest in.

I think I am a little ahead of you with my paint project, but we are about the same in this one.

Oh, I wanted to tell you (I haven't posted this) I lost my porcelain hen. I went in to the barn and found her with her neck broken (at least I think).
hit.gif
So that may set me back even farther, because I think I only have two chicks with her lines.
I've been on BYC for less than two years but didn't really look at all the other threads but for a couple I was interested in at the time. Now that I'm totally involved in my silkie projects seriously, I have been discovering all these old but still very relevant threads. Trouble is, few of those original master breeders are posting much any longer. I'm thrilled you and I are on the same journey and you are so kind and generous with your knowledge and experience.

So sorry for your unexpected and tragic loss of your porcelain hen! *yikes!*
hugs.gif

I have had a set back too that I didn't post about. The only porcelain cross chick I felt was female suddenly got sick and died in 48 hours. No symptoms. Just quit eating and drinking and went into a comma. I've been watching the rest of the chicks closely and no other is acting sick. Six chicks left and only this partridge one looks to be female. And not porcelain. I can breed one of the best males back to the mother and hope for something good.

It's tough when you and I are working with so few birds in our projects. The loss of one makes a huge impact on our plans. And each bird is precious to us for it's singular and unique life as well.

I've been on BYC for less than two years but didn't really look at all the other threads but for a couple I was interested in at the time. Now that I'm  totally  involved in my silkie projects seriously, I have been discovering all these old but still very relevant threads. Trouble is, few of those original master breeders are posting much any longer. I'm thrilled you and I are on the same journey and you are so kind and generous with your knowledge and experience. 

So sorry for your unexpected and tragic loss of your porcelain hen! *yikes!* :hugs

I have had a set back too that I didn't post about. The only porcelain cross chick I felt was female suddenly got sick and died in 48 hours. No symptoms. Just quit eating and drinking and went into a comma. I've been watching the rest of the chicks closely and no other is acting sick. Six chicks left and only this partridge one looks to be female. And not porcelain. I can breed one of the best males back to the mother and hope for something good.

It's tough when you and I are working with so few birds in our projects. The loss of one makes a huge impact on our plans. And each bird is precious to us for it's singular and unique life as well.

You are way ahead of me with your genetic knowledge!! And I appreciate you sharing yours!!!

Thank you. Yes, you are so right. They are all my chicken children and every one lost is a piece of my heart.

I was digging through some pictures this afternoon and found these of my little orange lavender boy. See why I think your little Tick Tick looks so much like him!

You are way ahead of me with your genetic knowledge!! And I appreciate you sharing yours!!!

Thank you. Yes, you are so right. They are all my chicken children and every one lost is a piece of my heart.

I was digging through some pictures this afternoon and found these of my little orange lavender boy. See why I think your little Tick Tick looks so much like him!

Thank you. Truly.

Yes! He does share a strong resemblance. In type, fuzzy legs, shanks, and feet. And color is close too.

In years past, I was not keen on keeping males around for very long. I was over run with poor quality and couldn't justify the cost of feed. These days each of them gets a name and I care deeply for them. It could be empty nest syndrome on my part. I miss my kids and Grand kids and the chicks give me a sense of nurturing. I want each chick to live, grow, and reach it's total fulfillment. My job is to make it happen. When things go wrong, it is not only a loss of the precious little life, but a disappointment in life unfulfilled. Raising livestock is not for the faint of heart but I think having a tender heart can be a very good thing at times.

I took some picture updates yesterday. Here is my little orange lavender boy Tabasco.

And this little baby that I couldn't catch in any good poses that I think may be a chick of my porcelain girl that I lost.

These may be the new future of my porcelain project. Hoping one of them is a female and I will mate them with my CatDance lavender roo. My gut is saying the darker one is a boy and the lighter one is a girl.

Last edited:
Hi, I've been reading so many of these porcelain threads and it seems this is the only one still active. Mind if I join in? I'm new to breeding and just starting to get an idea of what I want and how I will seperate pens. None of my silkies are laying yet (I have a catdance porcelain pullet that's 8 months old but taking her time ;) ) but I'm trying to learn everything I can. Also, I have a new porcelain chick showing lots of brassy orange coloring with penciling on the wings. Boy? I'm very new to porcelains-got my catdance pullet a few months ago. But would really like to be breeding them next spring. Anyway, here are pictures of the probable boy

Thanks! I'm excited to learn more :)

Last edited:
Ashtree glad you could join us! I would guess he is a boy also. Your little boy is a cutie! The one I have that has a lot of orange I am nearly positive he is a boy. Mumsy's little Tick Tick with orange, she is fairly certain he is a boy also. So I guess we will all see if we are right. Post some pictures of your CatDance pullet - we would love to see her.

Hi ashtree!
frow.gif
I'm happy you joined in! Yes. I started this thread because all the other porcelain threads seemed dead. Fur n Feathers and I are also new to breeding porcelain silkies and we both are starting with Catdance bred stock. You fit right in.

Your youngster looks beautiful. I love that soft coloring.

Some of my Catdance females started laying at eight months. One didn't lay her first egg until she was over a year old.

My first batch of chicks from the Porcelain male covering a Partridge hen gave me five porcelain colored and one female partridge colored.

They are growing out now and I love them. So pretty. It will be hard for me to choose the #1 male to breed next year because I love them all so much. Type first color second in my pens. That means short backs, S shaped body's, nice crests that are balanced with the cushions (bum), good feet as in nicely spaced toes and feathered middle toe. Dark skin, eyes, walnut comb,, and five toes on each foot are Silkie traits too of course. The closer these traits come to the standard of perfection, the better the bird. No perfect silkie exists but that's the fun of putting breeding's together. Choosing the best to breed to the best. Some people have dozens of birds to work with and get results fast. I only have six chicks to work with so it may take me a while to reach my goals.

Don't be shy to ask questions, post pictures of your birds, and share in the fun.

I need to take some update pictures tomorrow. I'll post them as soon as I get some more.

Back
Top Bottom