Portable fence/run recommendation?

KrisCVT

Songster
8 Years
Sep 6, 2015
Central Massachusetts
We just adopted a new greyhound- he is young and stupid. My other greyhound is wonderful with my birds and can be outside with them at the same time. My top hen actually will chase him or run up to him if he is sniffing something and she is annoyed. I consider myself lucky. But my new dog is young and although not aggressive, I obviously am not letting him out with my birds. Right now I let them out a couple hours before sundown and the dogs don't go out again until the birds go back in. But my main concern is my new guy getting out by accident or my husband forgetting the birds are out.

They normally get a run of my backyard a few hours a day when I am home to check on them (translation: obsessively look out the windows at them every 20 minutes and run outside to see what they are up to if somewhere I can't spot them). Because I have 2 ducks along with my 5 chickens, I like to give them time to get exercise even though their setup is pretty decent.

I want to string a fence across the top 1/4 of my yard from the coop perpendicular to the perimeter fence. So at least I can let them out and they can run around this area and scratch. When the weather gets nicer, I hope to take this fence and reshape it in various areas around my yard for them to dig.

The fence must:

1) be safe for the chickens/ducks- I read about heads getting stuck in some types and I worry about that
2) be simple to put up/move/take down
3) be attractive- my hubby still takes pride in his yard and flower beds which is why we spend so much time making our coop look nice…our yard is in full view of the neighborhood/pedestrians/etc so we want things to look nice.
4) barrier for dog- I am not too worried about him running through something, so I don't think I need chain link...
5)although budget friendly would be great, I think I can buy whatever is going to work because getting this new dog was my hubby's idea.

I was looking at the Omlet setup….

anyones ideas/feedback would be great.

X2. If you do a search of the forums for electric poultry netting or fencing you would find pictures of JackE's electric fence. Show them to your husband to see if it looks nice enough. Mine is very easy to move.

We bought the omlet portable fence….we will see how it goes. It did NOT take 15 mins to put up like the website said…we worked on it for 3 or 4 hours. Of course, our greyhound ran RIGHT through it while we were putting it up when someone walked by our yard with another dog. He literally somersaulted over the fence but didn't damage it or himself. Now he's cautious.

2 chickens have already tried to fly over to me when I am on the other side. <sigh>

At least this wasn't expensive- and if it doesn't work- we kind of have an idea what to fix. Will have to pull it up when we get snow- only downside.

We bought the omlet portable fence….we will see how it goes. It did NOT take 15 mins to put up like the website said…we worked on it for 3 or 4 hours. Of course, our greyhound ran RIGHT through it while we were putting it up when someone walked by our yard with another dog. He literally somersaulted over the fence but didn't damage it or himself. Now he's cautious.

2 chickens have already tried to fly over to me when I am on the other side. <sigh>

At least this wasn't expensive- and if it doesn't work- we kind of have an idea what to fix. Will have to pull it up when we get snow- only downside.
If it works as a psychological barrier, you may be able to unplug it and leave it up in the snow.

Back
Top Bottom